Waves: the amount of time for a particle to move a distance on a string

In summary, the conversation discusses the time required for a particle to move a distance on a string. The given information includes the speed and wavelength of a transverse wave, as well as the amplitude of the wave. The attempted solution involved using the velocity and wavelength to find the frequency, but the problem could not be solved further.
torrie110
need help fastWaves: the amount of time for a particle to move a distance on a string

Homework Statement

The speed of a transverse wave on a string is 408 m/s, while the wavelength is 0.220 m. The amplitude of the wave is 2.62 mm. How much time is required for a particle of the string to move through a total distance of 1.00 km?

Homework Equations

y = A sin (2pif*t + (2pix/wavelength)

The Attempt at a Solution

i used the velocity and wavelength to find the frequency but than couldn't take the problem any further

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind, I finally figured this out myself! Sorry I can't figure out how to delete this thread!

1. What are waves?

Waves are disturbances that travel through a medium, such as water or air, and carry energy from one place to another.

2. How are waves created on a string?

Waves on a string can be created by plucking, striking, or shaking the string. These actions cause the particles of the string to vibrate, creating a wave.

3. What is the relationship between wave speed and particle movement?

The speed of a wave is determined by the frequency and wavelength of the wave, which are both related to the movement of particles in the medium.

4. How is the amount of time for a particle to move a distance on a string calculated?

The amount of time it takes for a particle to move a distance on a string is calculated by dividing the distance by the wave speed. This is known as the wave period.

5. How do waves transfer energy?

Waves transfer energy through the movement of particles in the medium. As the wave travels, the particles vibrate and transfer energy to neighboring particles, creating a chain reaction.