Mass sliding through a metal bar consisting of two conducting rails

In summary, a metal bar of mass m slides frictionlessly on two parallel conducting rails a distance l apart. A resistor R is connected across the rails and a uniform magnetic field B, pointing into the page, fills the entire region. When the bar moves to the right at a speed v, the current in the resistor is given by I=vBl/R and flows in the opposite direction of the charge carriers (electrons). The magnetic force on the bar is given by F=ilxB and is in the direction determined by the right hand rule or Lenz's Law. If the bar starts out with an initial speed v0 at t=0 and is left to slide, its speed at a later time t can be found by using the
pentazoid

Homework Statement

A metal bar of mass m slides frictionlessly on two parallel conducting rails a distance l apart. A resistor R is connected across the rails and a uniform magnetic field B , pointing into the page , fills the entire region.

a) If the bar moves to the right at speed v, what is the current in the resistor? In what direction does it flow?

b) What is the magnetic force on the bar? In what direction?

c) If the bar starts out with the speed v0 at t=0 , and is left to slide , what is its speed at a later time t

d) the initial KE of the bar was , of course 1/2mv0^2. Check that the energy delivered to the resistor is exactly 1/2mv0^2.

Homework Equations

I=emf/R

emf=closed integral(fmag*dl)

The Attempt at a Solution

a)I=emf/R, emf=vBh

in this case h is l. Therefore emf=vBl

I=vBl/R

b) emf=closed integral(fmag*dl)=vBl. Not sure what dl is. I supposed it the length of the metal bar?
If so, then
fmag*l=vBl==> fmag=vB

Didn't really begin on c and d but I will ask about those problems later when I attempt to solved them.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Think of the magnet flux enclosed by the circuit. The dimension l is a constant. The bar can be thought of as sliding in the x direction, so

emf = -d(flux)/dt = -d(Blx)/dt = -Bldx/dt = -Blv

where the flux is found from the integral of B dot dA.

To find the direction of the current in the bar use

F = qv x B and the right hand rule. Remember, q is a positive charge carrier so the electrons will move in the opposite direction.

The force on the moving bar is found from

F = il x B

where i is the current in the bar. The right hand rule will give the direction of the force or you can use the concept of Lenz's Law to determine the force direction on the bar.

1. How does mass sliding through a metal bar work?

When a mass is placed on a metal bar consisting of two conducting rails, it creates a closed circuit. This circuit allows for the flow of electrons, which causes a magnetic field to form in the metal bar. The interaction between the magnetic field and the moving mass creates a force that causes the mass to slide along the bar.

2. What factors affect the speed of the mass sliding through the metal bar?

The speed of the mass sliding through the metal bar can be affected by various factors such as the mass of the object, the strength of the magnetic field, and the resistance of the conducting rails. Additionally, any external forces acting on the mass, such as friction, can also impact the speed.

3. Can the direction of the sliding mass be controlled?

Yes, the direction of the sliding mass can be controlled by changing the direction of the magnetic field or by introducing external forces, such as pushing or pulling the mass in a certain direction. This can be done by using magnets or by manipulating the external forces acting on the mass.

4. Is there a limit to how fast the mass can slide through the metal bar?

The speed at which the mass can slide through the metal bar is limited by various factors, such as the strength of the magnetic field and the resistance of the conducting rails. However, in theory, if these factors are optimized, the mass could potentially slide at high speeds.

5. What are the practical applications of mass sliding through a metal bar?

One practical application of mass sliding through a metal bar is in the design of electric generators. The sliding mass can be used to generate electricity as it moves along the conducting rails. This concept can also be applied in other systems, such as railguns and magnetic levitation trains.