How Much Energy is Lost Through Walls When Heating a Home?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of electricity to heat a house during a winter afternoon. It highlights the energy expenditure, temperature difference, and energy leakage through the walls of the house. The conversation also mentions the use of the specific heat capacity equation to determine the final temperature, but the lack of specific heat capacity value prevents a complete solution. The second part of the conversation discusses the rate at which energy is transferred between two systems and how it relates to the temperature difference. The question posed in this part asks how much electricity would have been consumed if the house temperature was kept at 24° C instead of 20° C.
fball558
energy heating a home?

Homework Statement

During 2 hours one winter afternoon, when the outside temperature was 4° C, a house heated by electricity was kept at 20° C with the expenditure of 42 kwh (kilowatt·hours) of electric energy.

(a) What was the average energy leakage in joules per second (watts) through the walls of the house to the environment (the outside air and ground)?
in watts

(b) The rate at which energy is transferred between two systems due to a temperature difference is often proportional to their temperature difference. Assuming this to hold in this case, if the house temperature had been kept at 24° C (77° F), how many kwh of electricity would have been consumed?
in kwh

Homework Equations

only one i know is
Cm(Tf - Ti) + Cm(Tf - Ti) = 0
where C is specific heat capacity
m is mass
Tf is final temp
Ti is inital temp

The Attempt at a Solution

was going to figure out final temp using above equation and then compare that to the final temp given. but don't know the C so got stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org

Part a, how much energy went into the house, where did that energy go?

it is an open system which means the energy is not conserved.
i did conservation of energy but did not think it would be right
because you are loosing energy through the walls which means
you have to input more energy

Yes, the energy in all ends up going outside in the long term, so part a is simply asking how many joules were supplied during the 2 hours.

1. How does energy heat a home?

Energy heats a home by being converted into heat energy through various methods, such as combustion, electric resistance, or heat pumps. These methods use different sources of energy, such as gas, electricity, or geothermal heat, to produce heat that is then distributed throughout the home.

2. What is the most efficient way to heat a home?

The most efficient way to heat a home depends on various factors, such as the climate, the size of the home, and the cost of energy. However, some of the most efficient methods include using a high-efficiency furnace or boiler, using a heat pump, or using passive solar heating techniques that utilize the sun's energy.

3. How can I reduce my energy consumption for heating my home?

There are several ways to reduce energy consumption for heating a home. These include using a programmable thermostat to regulate the temperature, ensuring proper insulation and sealing any air leaks, using energy-efficient heating systems, and regularly maintaining and cleaning heating equipment to ensure it is running efficiently.

4. What are the environmental impacts of heating a home?

Heating a home can have various environmental impacts, depending on the energy source used. For example, burning fossil fuels such as gas or oil releases carbon dioxide and other pollutants into the air, contributing to climate change and air pollution. However, using renewable energy sources such as solar or geothermal can significantly reduce these impacts.

5. How can I make my home more energy-efficient for heating?

There are several ways to make a home more energy-efficient for heating. These include improving insulation and sealing air leaks, upgrading to energy-efficient windows and doors, using energy-efficient heating systems, and utilizing passive solar heating techniques. Regular maintenance and upgrades can also help improve a home's energy efficiency and reduce heating costs.