Accretion disk model: Hydrodynamical or collisional N-Body?

In summary, the DynGen routine uses a hydrodynamical approach to simulate a dusty torus and a planet orbiting within it, taking into account planet mass and disk viscosity. However, it does not include self-gravity in the disk, which may affect its accuracy in representing a real accretion disk. Suggestions for incorporating self-gravity include adding a simplified form of it or comparing results with other simulations that include self-gravity. It is important to continue questioning and refining the simulation approach for more accurate results.
farIR
Right now I'm playing around with DynGen, a routine which uses a hydrodynamical approach to simulate a dusty torus and a planet orbiting within it. It uses laroche limits, etc. to model what happens with the resonant trapping as this planet orbits - the parameters are planet mass and disk viscosity, nothing more.

the planet feels the disk and the disk feels the planet, but the disk does not feel itself, ie it does not self-gravitate.

Anyway, the routine isn't N-body collisional, ie the disk is like a fluid and it doesn't stick to itself. I'm a little worried about this as one would think an actual accretion disk would be an intermediate between a truly collisional model and this hydrodynamical approach. My colleagues really aren't helping much, so I thought I'd try to field the question here.

Anyone have any thoughts? I know this is a rather bizarre, open ended question, but I thought I'd try. :biggrin:

Astronomy news on Phys.org

Hello, thank you for sharing your work on DynGen. It sounds like a very interesting and complex simulation. I can understand your concern about the lack of self-gravity in the disk. While it may not be a perfect representation of a real accretion disk, it's important to remember that simulations are always simplified versions of reality. It's impossible to include every single factor and variable in a simulation, so we have to make educated choices about what to include and what to leave out.

In this case, it seems like the hydrodynamical approach is a good starting point for understanding the dynamics of a dusty torus and a planet orbiting within it. It allows you to explore the effects of planet mass and disk viscosity, which are important factors in the overall behavior of the system.

However, if you want to incorporate self-gravity into your simulation, there are a few options you could consider. One possibility is to include a simplified form of self-gravity, such as a gravitational force between the particles in the disk. This would add another layer of complexity to the simulation, but it may also provide more realistic results.

Another option is to compare your results with those from other simulations that do include self-gravity. This can help you understand the limitations of your current approach and potentially guide future improvements to your model.

Overall, I think it's important to continue questioning and refining your simulation approach as you gather more data and insights. Keep exploring and collaborating with your colleagues, and don't be afraid to try new approaches. Best of luck with your research!

1. What is the accretion disk model?

The accretion disk model is a theoretical model used to explain the formation of large objects, such as planets or stars, in space. It describes how matter in a rotating disk around a central object gradually accumulates and clumps together due to various physical processes.

2. How does the hydrodynamical accretion disk model work?

The hydrodynamical accretion disk model is based on the principles of fluid dynamics. It assumes that the matter in the disk behaves as a fluid and is subject to forces such as gravity and pressure. This model explains how the matter in the disk gradually spirals in towards the central object, forming larger and larger bodies over time.

3. What is the collisional N-Body accretion disk model?

The collisional N-Body accretion disk model is based on the idea that the matter in the disk is made up of individual particles that collide and stick together, forming larger bodies. This model takes into account the effects of collisions and fragmentation on the growth of objects in the disk.

4. Which model is more commonly used in scientific research?

The hydrodynamical accretion disk model is more commonly used in scientific research due to its ability to explain a wide range of observations and its applicability to different types of astrophysical systems. However, the collisional N-Body model is also used in certain scenarios, such as studying the formation of small, rocky planets.

5. What are the limitations of the accretion disk model?

One limitation of the accretion disk model is that it does not take into account other factors that can affect the formation of objects, such as magnetic fields and turbulence. Additionally, the exact processes involved in the growth of objects in the disk are still not fully understood, so the model is constantly being refined and updated as new research and observations are made.