What chemical triggers muscle movement and can this be replicated in a lab?

• Medical
  • Thread starter redrum42069
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the chemical workings of muscles involve nerve stimulation and the release of neurotransmitters, such as Acetylcholine, which signal the muscle to contract. This process can be further studied in upper level physiology textbooks and cannot be replicated in a lab using synthetic muscles.
redrum42069
How do muscles work?
On a very through level.
I already know about fast/slow twitch muscles, fibers, and how muscles use oxygen, etc... But I am more interested in the chemical workings.
More so what chemical reacts with the nerves to give the muscle movement/ energy for movement
Also, can this effect be created in a lab using synthetic muscle.

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
redrum42069 said:
How do muscles work?
On a very through level.

I'd recommend starting out by reading about it in an upper level physiology textbook, such as Berne & Levy or Guyton. That should help you focus your questions to something we could help you answer here. As it is, your question is too broad to answer in a forum post since you're asking for a complete lesson on muscle physiology.

I agree with Moonbear- the best place to look is in a good textbook.
However, what do you mean by this?

"More so what chemical reacts with the nerves to give the muscle movement/ energy for movement."

Nerves do not provide energy. They stimulate the reaction to occur. The energy is already in the muscle supplied in the form of glucose in the blood.

The motor neurone receives a chemical signal from the spinal cord. This instruction is then sent down the axon as an electrical action potential, and when it reaches the neuromuscular junction, it stimulates a neurotransmitter to be secreted into the synapse, which is then in turn detected by the muscle as an instruction to contract. If you're asking what this neurotransmitter is called, I think it is Acetylcholine.

What are muscles made of?

Muscles are made up of long, thin fibers called muscle cells. These cells are made up of protein filaments called actin and myosin, which slide over each other to create muscle contractions.

How do muscles contract?

Muscles contract through a process called the sliding filament theory. When a signal from the nervous system reaches a muscle, it triggers the release of calcium ions, which bind to the protein filaments and cause them to slide and contract.

What role do nerves play in muscle function?

Nerves play a crucial role in muscle function by sending electrical signals from the brain and spinal cord to the muscles. These signals control the contraction and relaxation of muscles, allowing them to perform movements.

Why do muscles get sore after exercise?

Muscle soreness after exercise is caused by micro-tears in the muscle fibers, which occur during physical activity. When these tears heal, the muscle becomes stronger and more resilient, leading to muscle growth and improved function.

How do muscles get energy?

Muscles get energy from the breakdown of a molecule called adenosine triphosphate (ATP). This process releases the energy needed for muscle contractions. ATP can be produced through various energy systems, such as aerobic metabolism and anaerobic metabolism, depending on the intensity and duration of the activity.