What are some typical engineering questions during an interview?

In summary, the interviewer wants to know if you are interested in the position, your skills, and how you would approach a problem.
yopy
I have an internship interview tomorrow with a company. I'm in construction engineering which is basically construction management. I've never had a real job interview before so I'm not sure what to expect, does anyone know some typical questions that may be asked? I've done some research and read some questions, but would anyone have some input on this?

Engineering news on Phys.org
It depends on what kind of engineering you are doing?

If you are a mechanical engineer then your study background will be such that you can converse and answer questions about mechanical engineering. However, this stuff is less important becuse they will know that you have studied mechanical engineering (if that's your background) and you should be proficient with the subject.

They would propbably be more interested and focus on your approach to problem solving and your awareness of cost, quality, function, time, environment and risk when running a project. they will also want to see that you won't always go for the most expensive solution if it is not necessary, and conversely that you won't go for a cheap solution which might compromise product funstion (this is a very basic example).

Engineering requires a constant second anture ability to be able to weigh up the pros and cons and impacts of decisions. You never do things just for the sake of it, you need to be able to demonstarte logical reasoning and evaluation of problems.

During every engineering interview i have attended, i have been asked to describe how i have solved a complex problem and how i have managed it through to completion. When you describe how you solve a problem, they will normally want to see that you make desicions based upon sound evidence logical intuition, so that they can be shore that you won't waste their time and money. Project planning is also an area they will address.

But to be honest interviews vary, but like i said it willl depend on the type of engineering job it is?

Last edited:
Sorry i have just re-read you post - Construction engineering, haha, i need glasses.

In that case the same stilll applies.

good luck

yopy said:
I have an internship interview tomorrow with a company.

Interviewing for an internship may be different than interviewing for a permanent position. An intern isn't expected to produce work in the same way as even a new hire is. At least around here.

If I were the interviewer, I would want to know how interested the candidate is in getting the position. An internship would be wasted on someone who isn't really interested in doing it. So, the more you know about the company you're interviewing, the better off you will appear. Know enough to ask a few good questions of the interviewer. I know that's hard, and I always hated it when I was asked "so... do *you* have any questions?"

And, when they do ask you if you have any questions, please don't ask "when is quitting time" or "do I get time & a half for overtime..." Save questions like that for the human resources/personnel person, after you get the position

I found some references on this subject, please refer to everyone here: http://jobinterviewquestions.biz/construction-interview-questions/"
Best regards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just be rigorously honest. Since this is an intern position so they don't expect you to have the knowledge from a hundred years experience.

A desire to learn and absence of pretense are best traits a young engineer can demonstrate.

You'll do fine. Breathe deep and look them in the eye,
But let them crack the jokes.

Good luck!
old jim

1. What are some examples of engineering projects you have worked on?

In my previous role as a mechanical engineer, I worked on a project to design and develop a new type of fuel injection system for automobiles. I also led a team in designing a solar-powered irrigation system for a rural community in Africa.

2. How do you approach problem-solving in an engineering project?

I first analyze the problem at hand and gather all the necessary information and data. Then, I brainstorm potential solutions and evaluate their feasibility. I also like to collaborate with my team and seek input from others. Once a solution is chosen, I create a plan of action and implement it with careful attention to detail.

3. How do you handle unexpected challenges in an engineering project?

I believe that unexpected challenges are inevitable in any engineering project. When faced with such challenges, I remain calm and focused. I reassess the situation and come up with alternative solutions. I also communicate effectively with my team and stakeholders to ensure that everyone is on the same page.

4. Can you describe a time when you had to work under a tight deadline?

During my time as a project manager for a construction company, we had a tight deadline to complete a high-rise building. To ensure that we met the deadline, I created a detailed project schedule and closely monitored the progress of each task. I also delegated tasks efficiently and made sure that everyone was working together towards the same goal.

5. How do you stay updated on the latest industry trends and advancements?

I am always eager to learn and stay updated on the latest industry trends and advancements. I attend conferences, workshops, and seminars related to my field. I also read industry publications and actively participate in online forums and discussions. Additionally, I enjoy networking with other engineers and discussing new ideas and technologies.