Tim Minchin's song If I didn't have you

• Thread starter f95toli
  • Start date
In summary, "If I Didn't Have You" by Tim Minchin is a song that humorously but insightfully expresses the speaker's scientific view of love and relationships. The song also touches on the idea of being romantic and the importance of rationalism in life. For those who want to read the lyrics, they can be found on Tim Minchin's fan site, as the full title may not work on other lyrics websites.
f95toli
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Tim Minchin's song "If I didn't have you"

I was listening to this song earlier today and realized that it actually sums up my beliefs about the nature of relationships quite nicely, i.e. while it is very funny it is also quite "deep".
I guess that means that I am not very romantic:grumpy:

For those who do not know which song I am referring to

it is a quite "scientific" view of love, so it would be interesting to know what other people on this forum thinks about the lyrics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

f95toli said:
I was listening to this song earlier today and realized that it actually sums up my beliefs about the nature of relationships quite nicely, i.e. while it is very funny it is also quite "deep".
I guess that means that I am not very romantic:grumpy:

For those who do not know which song I am referring to

it is a quite "scientific" view of love, so it would be interesting to know what other people on this forum thinks about the lyrics.

I love that song. Tim Minchin is hilarious, but he's not just being funny here. As he says, this is a song about statistics. I don't know if his wife gets her head around it okay; I expect so. That's part of what makes it funny.

I'm going to see Tim in concert, in Newcastle Australia, next month. Christmas present from people who really know how to give a good Christmas present.

His ballad "White wine in the Sun" is my new favourite Christmas song, and his famous beat poem "Storm" is also fabulous. A common theme in all of them is his enthusiasm for life combined with a strong rationalist perspective on things.

If people want to see the lyrics in print, the best place I have found is his fan site http://www.angry-feet.com/music.php . I've linked to the "music" page, and you should simply use the "search box" there and search for "have you". (For some reason, maybe the apostrophe, using the whole title doesn't work.) This will get you to the lyrics without all the horrible popups and ads at the various general lyrics website.

Cheers -- sylas

Last edited by a moderator:

I appreciate Tim Minchin's humorous and yet thought-provoking take on love and relationships in this song. While it may not be the most romantic view, it does highlight the importance of compatibility and the role of chance in finding a partner. It also acknowledges the idea that love is not always enough to sustain a relationship, and that intellectual and emotional compatibility are equally important. It's refreshing to see a more rational and logical perspective on love, and it's clear that Minchin has put some thought into the lyrics. Overall, I find the song to be a clever and entertaining commentary on the complexities of relationships.

1. How did Tim Minchin come up with the idea for the song "If I Didn't Have You"?

Tim Minchin has stated in interviews that the song was inspired by his own personal experience in a long-term relationship and the idea that love is not necessarily eternal or unconditional.

2. Is there any scientific basis behind the lyrics of the song?

While the lyrics are not based on any specific scientific research, they do touch on themes commonly explored in psychology and sociology, such as the nature of love and relationships.

3. What genre does "If I Didn't Have You" fall under?

The song is often classified as a satirical comedy song, as it uses humor and irony to make a commentary on love and relationships.

4. Have any scientists or experts commented on the song?

There have been some discussions and analyses of the song in relation to psychology and relationships, but there is no official scientific commentary on the song.

5. Does Tim Minchin have any other songs that touch on scientific themes?

Yes, Tim Minchin has written several songs that touch on scientific themes, such as "Storm" which criticizes pseudoscience, and "The Fence" which deals with the topic of evolution.