Hertz Contact Stress for static condition

In summary: I don't have a good reference for that.may I know where I can find the 2.5 factor in USACE I mean section...?The allowable bearing stress for wheels is 2.5 times the yield strength.
servaa
Hi all,

I am designing a set of side guide rollers for a vertical gate. There are four rollers on the gate (two on each side), and the rollers are designed for jamming load condition (they are not loaded most of the time). When jamming happens, one top roller and one bottom roller (on the opposite side of the jammed top roller) will be in contact with the rail, resisting tilting moment caused by hoist load. I was able to calculate hertz contact stress on rollers from Roark's as follows:

stress = 0.798*sqrt(p/(Kd*Ce))

where p is applied load, Kd is equal to roller diameter, and Ce is some constant based on poisson's ratio and young's modulus of roller/rail material.

I am not sure though, what my allowable stress is in this case. I was able to find some criteria and standards that define allowable contact stress for wheels such as DIN 19704 (german), US Army Corps Engineering Manual EM 1110-2-2703, but the allowable stress defined in these standards seem to be for dynamic contacts.

The rollers that I'm designing is not going to be loaded repeatedly (maybe once in 5 years or so) and I think I need allowable static contact stress. Does anyone know how to approach this...??

Thanks a million!

Engineering news on Phys.org
servaa: Assuming you do not want the contact surface to yield, I think you could use the allowable bearing yield stress, which you could assume to be 1.5 times the allowable tensile yield stress. Or if you want to be more certain to not yield the contact surface, I think you could use the tensile (or compressive) yield strength.

nvn,

Thanks for info. Could you tell me what your source is..? Using allowable bearing stress seems to be a bit too conservative, as the allowable stresses defined in the standards that I mentioned are quite higher than those (2~2.5 times yield strength for USACE and 1.8 times ultimate strength for DIN standard).

Thanks!

I don't have a good reference for that.

may I know where I can find the 2.5 factor in USACE I mean section...

thanks

servaa said:
nvn,

Thanks for info. Could you tell me what your source is..? Using allowable bearing stress seems to be a bit too conservative, as the allowable stresses defined in the standards that I mentioned are quite higher than those (2~2.5 times yield strength for USACE and 1.8 times ultimate strength for DIN standard).

Thanks!

1. What is Hertz Contact Stress for static condition?

Hertz Contact Stress for static condition is a formula that calculates the maximum stress at the point of contact between two solid objects under a static load. It takes into account the elastic properties of the materials and the dimensions of the contact area.

2. How is Hertz Contact Stress for static condition calculated?

The formula for Hertz Contact Stress for static condition is σ = (3P)/(2πab), where σ is the stress, P is the applied load, a is the radius of the smaller object, and b is the radius of the larger object. This formula assumes that the objects are perfectly smooth and the load is evenly distributed over the contact area.

3. What are the assumptions made in the calculation of Hertz Contact Stress for static condition?

The calculation of Hertz Contact Stress for static condition assumes that the materials are elastic, the objects are perfectly smooth, and the load is evenly distributed over the contact area. It also assumes that the materials do not deform beyond their elastic limit.

4. What is the significance of Hertz Contact Stress for static condition in engineering?

Hertz Contact Stress for static condition is an important concept in engineering as it helps determine the maximum stress at the point of contact between two solid objects under a static load. This information is crucial in designing and analyzing mechanical systems to ensure that the materials used can withstand the stress and prevent failure.

5. Can Hertz Contact Stress for static condition be calculated for non-uniform contact areas?

Yes, Hertz Contact Stress for static condition can be calculated for non-uniform contact areas by using the Hertz equation for elliptical contact areas. This involves calculating the equivalent radius of the contact area and using it in the formula σ = (3P)/(2πab).