Yet another two-block system question. I guess I don't understand this still.

• Thread starter Bensky
  • Start date
  • Tags
    System
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a two block system and finding the frictional force. The attempt at a solution involved using equations for net force, weight, and kinetic friction, but the resulting answer was incorrect. After receiving help, it was determined that the acceleration for block A should be negative since it is moving in the -x direction. The final correct answer for the problem is u_k = 0.25.
Bensky

Homework Statement

See attempt at solution. It has everything.

Homework Equations

F_net = ma (net force)
W = mg (weight)
f_k = u_k * N (frictional force - kinetic)

T is the tension force.

The Attempt at a Solution

See attachment below. I realize I just posted a problem related to a two block system. I got help on the last problem and thought I understood it completely, but this time I'm REALLY not sure what I'm missing. I checked over the coordinate system and all the signs in the problem and thought all my steps made sense. Am I simply missing a force?

The answer I should be getting is u_k = 0.25, but I get 0.583 instead.

Attachments

• attempt2.jpg
    attempt2.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 340
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For 10 kg block g*sinθ and ax are in the same direction. So in that equation you have to equate it to -m*ax.

rl.bhat said:
For 10 kg block g*sinθ and ax are in the same direction. So in that equation you have to equate it to -m*ax.

Thank you, that did give me the correct answer. Are you saying the acceleration should be negative on block A since it is traveling in the -x direction (left)?

Bensky said:
Thank you, that did give me the correct answer. Are you saying the acceleration should be negative on block A since it is traveling in the -x direction (left)?
The mass is moving in the direction of g*sinθ. In the equation you have taken g*sinθ -ve, so ax also -ve.

rl.bhat said:
The mass is moving in the direction of g*sinθ. In the equation you have taken g*sinθ -ve, so ax also -ve.

What is "ve"?

EDIT: Nevermind, you mean -ve = "negative" haha. I'm a little slow tonight, nevermind! I understand, thanks.

1. What is a two-block system?

A two-block system is a type of mechanical system in which two blocks are connected by a string or rope. The blocks can move horizontally or vertically and are subject to various forces such as tension, friction, and gravity.

2. How does a two-block system work?

In a two-block system, the motion of one block is dependent on the motion of the other block. This means that when one block moves, it will cause the other block to move as well due to the tension in the string connecting them. The motion of the blocks can be described and predicted using principles of mechanics and Newton's laws of motion.

3. What affects the motion of a two-block system?

The motion of a two-block system is affected by various factors such as the mass and weight of the blocks, the tension in the string, and any external forces acting on the system. Friction between the blocks and the surface they are on can also affect the motion.

4. How is a two-block system different from other mechanical systems?

A two-block system is unique in that it involves the interaction of two objects connected by a string, whereas other mechanical systems may involve multiple objects connected in different ways. The motion of a two-block system is also governed by specific equations and principles, making it different from other types of systems.

5. What are some real-world applications of a two-block system?

Two-block systems can be found in various real-world applications, such as elevators, cranes, and pulley systems. They are also commonly used in physics experiments to demonstrate and study principles of motion and forces.