Volumetric flowrate of one substance to another

• Thread starter CTTKDKing
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flowrate
In summary: Basically, you need to know the cross sectional area of the leak, the pressure differential across the leak, and the nozzle efficiency of the device being used to test the leak. From there, you can use Bernoulli's equation to calculate the liquid leakage rate. Hope this helps.
CTTKDKing
Basically we have a valve that was tested with air and gave us a leak rate (MFR) of 0.046lbs/min of air. We need to know how much that equates to in Jet A Jet Fuel. The stats are: temperature ranging from 120 F to 200 F. Fuel temperature will range from -40F to 150F. Air pressure in the line will range from ~ 20-40 psig. Fuel pressure could be as high as 10 psig. Density of Jet A jet Fuel is about 6.7 lbs / Gallon US.

Does anyone know how to figure out this conversion. Ask me any more info required and i'll see about getting it. Most of the people working on this are mechanical engineers and are not really good with this type of problem.

Engineering news on Phys.org
CTTKDKing said:
Basically we have a valve that was tested with air and gave us a leak rate (MFR) of 0.046lbs/min of air. We need to know how much that equates to in Jet A Jet Fuel. The stats are: temperature ranging from 120 F to 200 F. Fuel temperature will range from -40F to 150F. Air pressure in the line will range from ~ 20-40 psig. Fuel pressure could be as high as 10 psig. Density of Jet A jet Fuel is about 6.7 lbs / Gallon US.

Does anyone know how to figure out this conversion. Ask me any more info required and i'll see about getting it. Most of the people working on this are mechanical engineers and are not really good with this type of problem.

Actually Mechanical Engineers are really good at this type of thing.

However, you can find the procedure for converting leak rates from gases to liquids on page 64 of this document:

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19680010920_1968010920.pdf

Hope this helps.

CS

stewartcs said:
Actually Mechanical Engineers are really good at this type of thing.

However, you can find the procedure for converting leak rates from gases to liquids on page 64 of this document:

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19680010920_1968010920.pdf

Hope this helps.

CS

Actually I meant electrical engineers, lol sorry about that.

It was tested with air, and now we need to know how much will leak through the same valve with Jet Fuel. It's not a matter of converting from a gas vapor to the same substance in liquid form, it's a matter of going from one material and based on the test results with that one material getting a measurement for the other material, if that makes sense. Thanks for any help that has been or can be offered.

CTTKDKing said:

It was tested with air, and now we need to know how much will leak through the same valve with Jet Fuel. It's not a matter of converting from a gas vapor to the same substance in liquid form, it's a matter of going from one material and based on the test results with that one material getting a measurement for the other material, if that makes sense. Thanks for any help that has been or can be offered.

You just need to use conservation of mass or conservation of momentum equation to solve this problem, remember navior stroke's equation to solve this. This question is very similar to my last week's homework question.

CTTKDKing said:

Doesn't matter...it can be the same fluid in different phases (i.e. gas or liquid) or it can be an entirely different fluid (i.e. air and jet fuel). You just need to know the dynamic viscosity of the fluids (which is indicative of the density of the fluid) and the pressure differential across the leak under test conditions.

Take a closer look at the link I posted and the relative equations (perhaps read back a few pages). There is a procedure to estimate the liquid leakage rate based on a known gas leakage rate.

CS

If you know the size (cross sectional area) of the leak and the pressure, bernoulli's equation will help you find the nozzle efficiency. Then apply Bernoulli's equation again to the other fluid, using the nozzle efficiency you just calculated.

1. What is the definition of volumetric flowrate?

Volumetric flowrate is the measure of the volume of a substance that flows through a particular point in a given amount of time. It is commonly expressed in units of volume per unit of time, such as cubic meters per second or gallons per minute.

2. How is volumetric flowrate different from mass flowrate?

Volumetric flowrate measures the volume of a substance that flows, while mass flowrate measures the mass of a substance that flows. They are related through the substance's density, as mass flowrate is equal to volumetric flowrate multiplied by density.

3. What factors affect the volumetric flowrate of one substance to another?

The volumetric flowrate can be affected by factors such as the pressure, temperature, viscosity, and density of the substances. The size and shape of the container or channel through which the substances are flowing can also have an impact.

4. How is the volumetric flowrate of one substance to another measured?

The volumetric flowrate can be measured using various techniques, such as using a flow meter or a timed collection method. These methods involve measuring the volume of the substance that flows through a specific point in a given amount of time.

5. Why is the volumetric flowrate of one substance to another important in scientific research?

Volumetric flowrate is an important parameter in many scientific fields, including chemical and process engineering, environmental studies, and fluid dynamics. It allows researchers to understand and control the movement of substances, which is crucial in various industrial and natural processes.