Encyclopedia of Abstract Terms

In summary, a writer is putting together an encyclopedia of abstract terms and is asking for suggestions of abstract words from philosophy that need better definition. Some suggestions are "miracle", "question", "truth", "what", "understanding", "reason", "experience", "love", "good", "evil", and "Republicans". The writer has already defined these words in three words or less and is asking for more suggestions. Another person suggests checking out the "Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy" for more information. The writer mentions that they are in the process of writing a philosophy book while attending college and doing brain tumor research, and hopes to publish it within the next two years.
Neo
Hello all. I'm currently putting together a book called Encyclopedia of Abstract Terms. I was wondering if you could provide me with abstract words from philosophy that you believe need (better) definition.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmmm... would "miracle" count? If someone could explain what one is then it would be greatly appreciated.

What is a "question"?

what is truth?

what is what?

Truth
Understanding
Reason
Experience

Have you seen the "Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy"
http://plato.stanford.edu/contents-unabridged.html ?

Last edited by a moderator:
love! :rolleyes:

Thanks so much everyone! I've defined them all in less than three words. Please provide me with more.

Neo said:
I've defined them all in less than three words. Please provide me with more.

Three.

Locrian said:
Three.

In three words?
"Not Quite Four" :biggrin:

Define, "define."

Good
Evil
Republicans

Math Is Hard said:
In three words?
"Not Quite Four" :biggrin:

:rofl: Har har har

robphy said:
Have you seen the "Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy"
http://plato.stanford.edu/contents-unabridged.html ?

This link was actually quite helpful. Thanks. I'm in the process of writing a philosophy book while attending college and doing brain tumor research. A PhD from the Harvard lab I was working in said it was "genius." Hopefully I'll be able to publish within the next two years. Wish me luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the purpose of an Encyclopedia of Abstract Terms?

An Encyclopedia of Abstract Terms is a comprehensive reference book that defines and explains abstract concepts and ideas. It serves as a guide for understanding and navigating complex topics such as philosophy, psychology, and literature.

2. Who can benefit from using an Encyclopedia of Abstract Terms?

Anyone who wants to gain a deeper understanding of abstract concepts and their meanings can benefit from using an Encyclopedia of Abstract Terms. This includes students, researchers, writers, and anyone with a curious mind.

3. How is an Encyclopedia of Abstract Terms organized?

An Encyclopedia of Abstract Terms is typically organized in alphabetical order, with each entry providing a definition of a specific abstract term, along with its historical background, related concepts, and examples of its usage.

4. Can an Encyclopedia of Abstract Terms be used as a primary source?

No, an Encyclopedia of Abstract Terms should not be used as a primary source in research or academic writing. It is best used as a secondary source to gain a general understanding of a topic and to identify potential primary sources for further research.

5. How is an Encyclopedia of Abstract Terms different from a dictionary?

An Encyclopedia of Abstract Terms is more extensive and in-depth than a dictionary. It provides not only definitions but also explanations and context for each term. It also covers a wider range of topics and concepts compared to a dictionary, which focuses on language and vocabulary.