Rusting: Is it Exponential Growth? Best Protection Methods

In summary, Borek thinks that the rate of formation of rust on iron/steel is not exponential. He thinks it may only occur at the surface and that the surface is not growing.
Dazz4C
Sorry if this might be in the wrong section, but I wanted someone's opinion on the formation of rust.

Do you think that the rate of formation of rust on iron/steel is an exponential growth?...

---

Also, some extra. I'm doing an EEI on rusting - basically, I'm trying to find the best methods of protection.

In one of my tests, which included a Zinc strip as a sacrificial anode - the iron ended up rusting, even when there was plenty of Zinc remaining. The iron and zinc were touching, so a galvanic cell effect would have been created...I just don't understand why it would have rusted. Also, it was in a sodium chloride solution (Salt Water), so I'm thinking at the moment that the sodium chloride would have had something to do with it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure there was an electrical contact between iron and zinc? Even if they looked like connected, they could be in reality separated by thin layer of oxides.

I have a feeling you started experimenting without completing the literature research - why sodium chloride speeds up corrosion should be obvious to you after reading about corrosion mechanisms. It lowers water resistance, closing the circuit.

No idea what EEI is. After googling I guess you probably don't mean Edison Electric Institute, East of England International, Energy Economics, Inc. nor Egyptian Educational Initiative. There were more examples even on the first page.

Yes, I understand the effect of the sodium chloride; basically it acts as the salt bridge. What I meant was I thought the sodium chloride might have been the cause of the rust in the iron even when the zinc was present. Sorry if it seemed a bit confusing.

Back to the Zinc and the Iron, I didn't think about the thin layer of oxides...I presumed that the zinc oxide would still connect the iron and the zinc strips, creating a electric circuit.

So overall, what you're saying is that the oxides don't close the circuit?

Oh, and EEI stands for Extended Experimental Investigation (In Australian schools)

Last edited:
Oxides are usually good insulators.

--

Thanks Borek, you've been of great help :)

Now does anyone have any opinions on the spreading of rust?...is it exponential?

Unlikely - it may occur only at the surface, and surface is not growing, quite the opposite.

--

Sorry - used to maths.

Thanks for all the help though :).

1. What is rusting?

Rusting is a chemical process that occurs when iron or steel is exposed to oxygen and water. This results in the formation of iron oxide, which is commonly known as rust.

2. Is rusting considered exponential growth?

No, rusting is not considered exponential growth. Exponential growth is a term used in mathematics and biology to describe a pattern of growth where the quantity increases at a constant rate over time. Rusting, on the other hand, is a chemical reaction that occurs at a variable rate and can be affected by various factors.

3. What factors affect the rate of rusting?

The rate of rusting can be affected by a variety of factors, including the presence of oxygen and water, the temperature, the pH level, and the presence of certain contaminants or chemicals.

4. What are some methods to protect against rusting?

There are several methods to protect against rusting, including painting or coating the metal surface, using galvanization or electroplating, and applying rust inhibitors or sealants. Regular maintenance and cleaning can also help prevent rusting.

5. Can rusting be completely prevented?

No, it is not possible to completely prevent rusting. However, by using protective methods and regularly maintaining metal surfaces, the rate of rusting can be greatly reduced. Additionally, using rust-resistant materials, such as stainless steel, can also help prevent rusting.