Gaining Physics Comprehension - High School to College

• Thread starter GreatEscapist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of learning physics and when it started to make sense for different individuals. One person mentions not having a strong background in high school and trying to supplement their learning, while another shares their experience with taking college physics and understanding it through their understanding of math. The conversation also touches on the importance of problem-solving in understanding physics.
GreatEscapist
Well, I hope this topic goes here.

When will I start to learn a lot of real physics? My high school class wasn't too advanced. We have no AP physics. (But I read the book :biggrin:) I always try to read stuff here on physics, but it never seems to click in my head. It's like I'm missing large chunks of physics...

I love physics. I'm taking it in college. (going into engineering, so duh) But when did it start to make sense to a majority of you? The higher stuff- not kinematics and electrodynamic and thermodynamics.

Physics news on Phys.org
planck42 said:
When I found this page
http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/

Really? Did it supplement your own course's materials?

I suppose it can be used as a supplement. I never actually took any formal physics courses, so I can't fully answer your question.

It started making sense to me when I started really understanding Math. Once you get used to reading poorly worded Math questions from books like Stewart you will understand Physics problems better.

So, like, Calc 2.

When you said you read the book, did you just read it or did you do the problems?

That's what makes it click for me, solving problems.

lisab said:
When you said you read the book, did you just read it or did you do the problems?

That's what makes it click for me, solving problems.

A bit of both, but mainly reading.
Good point. :tongue:

What is the key difference between high school and college level physics?

The key difference between high school and college level physics is the depth and complexity of the material. In high school, students are introduced to basic concepts and equations, while in college, they are expected to have a deeper understanding and ability to apply these concepts to more complex problems.

What are some strategies for comprehending physics at the college level?

Some strategies for comprehending physics at the college level include actively engaging in class discussions and asking questions, practicing problem-solving regularly, seeking help from professors or tutors, and forming study groups with peers.

How can I improve my mathematical skills to better understand physics?

Improving mathematical skills is essential for understanding physics. One way to do this is by practicing math problems regularly, especially those related to the physics concepts being studied. It is also helpful to seek help from a math tutor or attend review sessions to strengthen understanding.

What resources are available for students struggling with physics comprehension?

There are many resources available to help students struggling with physics comprehension. These include attending office hours with professors, utilizing online tutorials and practice problems, and seeking help from teaching assistants or peer tutors.

How can I apply physics concepts in real-life situations?

Applying physics concepts in real-life situations can be challenging but is crucial for fully comprehending the material. One way to do this is by seeking out examples or case studies that demonstrate the application of physics principles. Additionally, participating in hands-on experiments or projects can also help with understanding how physics applies to the real world.