Conversion of units (tangential velocity)

In summary, the conversation discusses converting tangential speed and distance between different units, specifically kilometers per second and parsecs, and radians per second and arcseconds per year. The issue is that after converting, the units of the resulting velocity do not match the desired units of km/s. It is suggested to attach conversion units to the numbers and do the algebra in units to find the mistake.
rbnphlp
This should be very easy but I can't see what I am doing wrong...

[tex]V_t=\mu .d[/tex] where vt = tangential speed (in km/s)
d = distance (in km)
mu(radian/sec)

Now by converting I should get

[tex]V_t=4.74\mu .d[/tex]
vt = tangential speed (in km/s)
d = distance (in parsec)
mu(arcsec/yr)

but according to my working ,
[tex]V_t=\frac{206264\times 365 \times 24 \times 3600}{3.086 \times 10^{13}}[/tex]

which comes to be [tex]V_t=.21\mu .d [/tex]

I know inverting the above fractions will lead me to the answer but I can't see why ?:(

1parsec=3.086*10^13 km
1 radian=206264 arcsec

Thanks ..

Astronomy news on Phys.org
It would help if you described the original problem.

If you were to attach your conversion units to the numbers you have, (ie 365 day/yr) then do all of the algebra in units I think you will find your problem.

Note that after completing the conversion the units of the resulting velocity will NOT be in km/s.

1. What is tangential velocity?

Tangential velocity is the linear speed of an object as it moves along a circular path. It is a measure of how fast an object is moving in the direction tangent to its circular path at a given point.

2. How is tangential velocity different from angular velocity?

While tangential velocity measures the linear speed of an object moving along a circular path, angular velocity measures the rate of change of the angle of rotation of an object around a fixed axis. Tangential velocity and angular velocity are related through the formula v = rω, where v is tangential velocity, r is the radius of the circular path, and ω is the angular velocity.

3. What are the common units used to measure tangential velocity?

The most commonly used unit for tangential velocity is meters per second (m/s). However, it can also be measured in other units such as feet per second (ft/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h).

4. How do you convert tangential velocity from one unit to another?

To convert tangential velocity from one unit to another, you can use conversion factors. For example, to convert from meters per second to kilometers per hour, you can multiply the value in meters per second by 3.6. It is important to keep track of units and make sure they cancel out correctly in the conversion process.

5. Why is it important to convert units when dealing with tangential velocity?

Converting units when dealing with tangential velocity is important because different units may be used in different contexts or by different scientists. It also allows for easier comparison and understanding of data. Additionally, using the correct units in calculations is crucial to ensure accurate results.