Device for recording EM signals

In summary, the device you may be looking for is called a "spectrum analyzer" and they can be very expensive, up to six figures. It might be more cost-effective to use separate sensors for different frequency bands and then connect them to an oscilloscope or microcontroller to record the signals.
Horseb0x
I'm looking for a device that can record EM signals of unknown frequencies (unknown to me) emitted by devices. For example if I point my remote control at it and start pressing buttons it should record intermittent IR frequency surges. Or for example if I build an emitter to modulate an encryption key into microwaves, this device should be able to record it and display it on an oscilloscope or something. I need a handheld device like this. What is this device called and how expensive are they?

Engineering news on Phys.org
You might be thinking of a device called a "spectrum analyzer". Good ones are very, very expensive. 6 figures is not unheard of. You might find a much cheaper on on ebay though.

A spectrum analyzer plots frequency on the horizontal axis, and the magnitude of frequency components on the vertical axis.

I doubt you'll find a sensor/detector that will respond to both IR and a broad range of radio wavelengths. Most likely you'll need to use a separate sensor/detector for each band that you want to detect. If your detector can convert the signal to base band, you could use an oscilloscope to observe the signal or a microcontroller to record the signal.

6 digits, mother of god. Yeah I might try just hooking up an oscilloscope to a sensor.

1. What is a device for recording EM signals?

A device for recording EM signals is a scientific instrument used to detect and measure electromagnetic (EM) waves. It converts the EM signals into a measurable form, such as voltage, current, or digital data, which can then be analyzed and studied.

2. How does a device for recording EM signals work?

A device for recording EM signals works by using sensors or antennas to detect the EM waves. These sensors convert the EM waves into an electrical signal, which is then amplified and processed by the device's circuitry. The resulting data can be displayed, stored, and analyzed.

3. What types of EM signals can be recorded with this device?

A device for recording EM signals can detect and record a wide range of EM frequencies, from radio waves and microwaves to infrared, visible light, ultraviolet, and even X-rays and gamma rays.

4. What are the applications of a device for recording EM signals?

A device for recording EM signals has many applications in various fields, such as telecommunications, remote sensing, medical imaging, and astronomy. It is also used for research and development in areas such as wireless technology, radar, and satellite communications.

5. How does a device for recording EM signals differ from other types of recording devices?

A device for recording EM signals is specifically designed to detect and measure EM waves, whereas other recording devices, such as cameras and microphones, record physical events or phenomena. Additionally, a device for recording EM signals can capture a wider range of frequencies and can provide more detailed data about EM waves.