Real (non-ideal) op-amps - textbook query

• Thread starter discombobulated
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Textbook
In summary, the conversation is about a student studying real op-amps and looking at the inverting amplifier circuit for a non-ideal op amp model. They are confused about one of the equations from the assumption of zero output current and have attached a circuit diagram. The student gets a different equation than what is stated in the book and is questioning the sign of the input voltage and a possible typo in their second sentence.
discombobulated

Homework Statement

Hello,

I'm studying real op-amps and looking the inverting amplifier circuit for a non-ideal op amp model. I'm confused as to where one of the equations from the assumption of zero output current came from, as I get a slightly different one.

I've attached the circuit diagram.

Homework Equations

1. From assumption of zero input for ideal, which requires Zin >> R1, R2and v1 (inverting input) = vd, and v2 (non-inverting input) = 0.

I get vd = [R1 / (R1 + (R2)]vin + βv0

The Attempt at a Solution

For the 2nd assumption of zero output impedance requires Z0 << R2

I get the equation: v0 = AOLvd - i0Z0

but the book says: v0 = - AOLvd - i0Z0

Attachments

• DSC00865.jpg
    DSC00865.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 434
Physics news on Phys.org
discombobulated said:

Homework Statement

Hello,

I'm studying real op-amps and looking the inverting amplifier circuit for a non-ideal op amp model. I'm confused as to where one of the equations from the assumption of zero output current came from, as I get a slightly different one.

I've attached the circuit diagram.

Homework Equations

1. From assumption of zero input for ideal, which requires Zin >> R1, R2and v1 (inverting input) = vd, and v2 (non-inverting input) = 0.

I get vd = [R1 / (R1 + (R2)]vin + βv0

The Attempt at a Solution

For the 2nd assumption of zero output impedance requires Z0 << R2

I get the equation: v0 = AOLvd - i0Z0

but the book says: v0 = - AOLvd - i0Z0

I think it's just the sign of the input voltage. Remember that the - terminal is at the top, and the + terminal is at the bottom, as drawn. Which way is the Vd defined?

Also, there is a typo in your 2nd sentence. Are you referring to input current or output impedance when you said "assumption of zero output current"?

1. What is a real (non-ideal) op-amp?

A real (non-ideal) op-amp is an electronic device that amplifies analog signals. Unlike ideal op-amps, which have infinite gain and zero input and output impedance, real op-amps have limited gain and non-zero input and output impedance.

2. What are the limitations of real op-amps?

The limitations of real op-amps include finite gain, non-zero input and output impedance, offset voltage, and bandwidth limitations. These imperfections can affect the accuracy and performance of the op-amp in certain applications.

3. How does offset voltage affect the performance of a real op-amp?

Offset voltage is a small voltage that is present at the input terminals of a real op-amp even when there is no input signal. This voltage can cause errors in the amplification and can be a source of noise in the output signal.

4. What is the importance of input and output impedance in real op-amps?

Input and output impedance are important characteristics of real op-amps because they determine the amount of current that can flow in and out of the op-amp. High input impedance allows the op-amp to have minimal impact on the circuit it is connected to, while low output impedance ensures that the op-amp can drive a load without significant loss of signal.

5. How can the limitations of real op-amps be overcome?

The limitations of real op-amps can be overcome by using external components such as resistors, capacitors, and feedback networks to compensate for the imperfections. Additionally, choosing the right op-amp for a specific application and carefully designing the circuit can also help minimize the impact of these limitations.