Relationship views changing with age

In summary, I think that the trend of women maturing into more confident ones who want space and dislike "clingy" emotional-relationship oriented men seems to happen as they get older, and this may be because of the experience of being in a starter marriage.
brainstorm
This is probably going to come across as stereotyping in some way but it's not intended. I am just wondering if anyone else has noticed a pattern with male and female attitudes toward relationships changing as people age. Specifically, it seems like when I was @20 women were generally sexually conservative and primarily interested in emotional bonding/relationships (what some would call "clingy"). Now, @10 years later, it seems as though women mature into the self-confident ones who want space and dislike "clingy" emotional-relationship oriented men, who may also be seen as "controlling."

Is this a general pattern that others have observed too? If so, could this be due to (heterosexuals) learning about the patterns of the other gender and adapting to it during their 20s? Could it be purely a result of male libido peaking early while female libido supposedly rises slowly and peaks @30-40? These are vague hypotheses and I'm not even sure this is a widespread pattern. Has anyone noticed this or something similar?

Physics news on Phys.org
I've noticed that there are just fundamentally two classes of women. By age group I seem to bump into more "free radicals" of one group than the other. I'm not sure it's a fundamental shift by age, more a measure of which ones are most often spotted in the wild by age group.

i think that women are a bit more varied than two types... clingy and non clingy... that being said as you get into your 30's those inclined for relationships and marriage end up just so - those not into that are out and about and the ones you are coming across.

Also there is a phenomenon of people in their early 30's (present company included) who have gone through a marriage (called starter marriages:) and now single again would be much more wary of getting into something that serious again.

bd7878 said:
i think that women are a bit more varied than two types... clingy and non clingy... that being said as you get into your 30's those inclined for relationships and marriage end up just so - those not into that are out and about and the ones you are coming across.

Also there is a phenomenon of people in their early 30's (present company included) who have gone through a marriage (called starter marriages:) and now single again would be much more wary of getting into something that serious again.
Yes, I think it is the starter-marriage-wearies that fear clingy/controlling men. Maybe this has something to do with becoming distanced from their own clinginess/controllingness that got them into an early marriage to start with. Either way, the interesting thing to me is how people think it is possible to get into a relationship without clinging to and controlling each other to some degree. I would love to say that it is dysfunctional to believe that is all a relationship amounts to but, at least at some level, they aren't possible without that. The best you can really hope for if you don't like it is to find someone who is willing to actively resist that tendency.

Still, I think such resistance is ultimately self-delusion. Why? Because once a woman (could be a man too, actually) finds someone who is not clingy and controlling, they themselves will become that way. Why? Because as long as they are resisting clinginess and controllingness, they will feel extremely desirable as the object of desperation. So when they find someone who's not desperate enough to cling and try to control them, they will become that way out of loss of self-confidence. Could this be overly assumptive or does this seem to make sense?

Then, when the shoe is on the other foot and they're the clingy/controlling once again, they will complain about men being emotionally unavailable and afraid of commitment. It's all complex ideological manipulation (perhaps subconscious), I'm cynically inclined to believe.

I can say that there is no evidence to support the idea that attitudes toward relationships necessarily change with age in a specific way for all individuals. While it is true that many people may experience shifts in their relationship preferences and behaviors as they age, these changes are not necessarily tied to gender or a specific age range.

There are many factors that can influence an individual's attitudes and behaviors in relationships, including personal experiences, cultural norms, and individual differences. While there may be some general trends or patterns that can be observed, it is important to recognize that each person is unique and their relationship views may not fit into a specific stereotype or pattern.

Additionally, it is important to avoid making assumptions or generalizations about a person's behavior or preferences based on their gender. Both men and women are capable of being sexually conservative or self-confident, and their preferences may change at different points in their lives for a variety of reasons.

In terms of the hypotheses mentioned, there is limited research to support the idea that heterosexual individuals learn about the patterns of the other gender and adapt to them during their 20s. Similarly, there is no clear evidence to suggest that male libido peaks earlier than female libido. These are complex and individual factors that can vary greatly from person to person.

Overall, while it may be interesting to observe potential patterns in relationship attitudes and behaviors, it is important to approach these observations with caution and avoid making sweeping generalizations. Each person's relationship journey is unique and cannot be fully explained by broad stereotypes or hypotheses.

1. How do relationships typically change as people age?

As people age, their relationships tend to become more stable and long-lasting. They may also become more focused on companionship and mutual support, rather than physical intimacy or excitement.

2. Why do some people's relationship views change as they get older?

There are a variety of reasons that people's views on relationships may change with age. These can include changes in personal values, life experiences, and shifts in priorities and goals.

3. Are there any common challenges that arise in relationships as people age?

Yes, some common challenges that may arise in relationships as people age include differences in health and energy levels, financial concerns, and changes in roles and responsibilities.

4. Can relationships improve with age?

Yes, relationships can certainly improve with age. As individuals become more self-aware and emotionally mature, they may be better equipped to communicate effectively, resolve conflicts, and deepen their connections with their partner.

5. How can individuals adapt to changing relationship views as they age?

One way to adapt to changing relationship views is to openly communicate with your partner and remain open to learning and growing together. It can also be helpful to regularly reassess your priorities and make sure your relationship aligns with them as you both age.