Why is coffee so important to me?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coffee Love
In summary, the coffee-drinking expert was out of coffee this morning and did not experience any ill effects. He estimates that he pays for Juan Valdez's annual vacation with coffee. He likes to pretend that caffeine is good for him. He has a low tolerance for caffeine and would experience a headache if he drank coffee in the morning. He has a method for coping with coffee-less mornings.

Proton Soup said:
drink a lot of folgers here, but wouldn't turn down weasel poop

That needs to be a bumper sticker, NOW.

Physics news on Phys.org

I suggest this entire thread be moved to "skepticism and debunking." I don't believe in life before coffee.

[Edit: although the weasel poop can be a thread all on its own.]

Last edited:

nismaratwork said:
That needs to be a bumper sticker, NOW.

I like "Know beans, know coffee. No beans, no coffee."

Since I moved into a Hispanic household we drink only espresso. I can't even stand drinking "Americano" anymore as it tastes like water. It used to be stovetop, but my wife and I got a Bed bath and beyond (I always want to say "bloodbath" for some reason) gift certificate and bought a cappucino machine. We order our coffee straight from a place we visited in the mountains of Puerto Rico. Comes in 5 lb bags and it takes us about a month to get through it.

I'm in coffee Nirvanna, but it causes problems because I'm also at a level of coffee snobbery from which there is no turning back. Fortunately in Florida there are plenty of Hispanic markets which serve strong coffee, though I can't seem to convince any Cubans not to put sugar in it. (The Cuban allowance of sugar is something like 2 pounds per month, I've been told, and diabetes is a problem there)

On our last road trip my wife and I actually took a small French press with us and stopped at gas stations to get hot water and brewed our own in transit. We seriously considered getting a machine for the car.

I no longer measure my coffee in pots or cups but "shots," and I am considering skipping this inefficient method of consumption altogether and going intravenous, though I suppose I'd miss the aromas and so forth.

I tend to be the in house barista since I'm good with technology (like cappucino machines), though I've got my 9 year old nephew in training, who already knows how to froth milk. The physics of espresso are actually pretty interesting. 15 bars of pressure through finely ground coffee beans = nectar of the gods.

-DaveKA (whose already got a bit too much blood in his caffeine system this morning)

Here's an updated version of the coffee cantata by the Ink Spots.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP6IUqrFHjw

Jimmy Snyder said:
I have a low tolerance for caffein. If I were to drink a cup of coffee in the morning, it would keep me up all day.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
nismaratwork said:
Isn't being kept awake all day one of the points of coffee? If it keeps you awake at night, I get it, but caffeine doesn't persist in the body for anywhere near that long.

Hey Jimmy, meet Nismar. Nismar, this is Jimmy. You will soon come to appreciate his sense of humor.

Redbelly98 said:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Hey Jimmy, meet Nismar. Nismar, this is Jimmy. You will soon come to appreciate his sense of humor.

Oooooh, don't I just feel like the silliest goose in the room. :blushing: I'm coming off a bit of a Jimmy "low", so I was primed to take him literally rather than in the excellent Jackie Mason tradition obviously intended.

All I can offer you by way of apology, is this freshly brewed cup of weasel-poop-juice. Here... I insist.