Modified Euler equations doubt

In summary, the conversation is about finding Psi-dot from a given equation, specifically using the quadratic formula. The final simplified equation is provided but the intermediate steps are not known.
Telemachus

Homework Statement

Hi there. I'm not sure if this question corresponds to this subforum, but I think you must be more familiarized with it. The thing is I don't know how to get from:

[tex]M_x=(I_0-I)\dot\Psi^2\sin\theta\cos\theta+I_0\dot\Phi\dot\Psi\sin\theta[/tex]

to:
[tex]\dot\Psi=\displaystyle\frac{I_0\dot\Phi}{2(I-I_0)\cos\theta} \left[1\pm \left( {1-\displaystyle\frac{4M_x(I-I_0)\cos\theta}{I_0^2\dot\Phi^2\sin\theta}}\right)^{1/2}\right][/tex]
I don't know how to get Phi from the first, but this is the simplification given on my book, but I don't know which intermediate steps to give.

Bye, and thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like a pretty straightforward application of the quadratic formula to find Psi-dot.

Right. Thanks.

1. What are Modified Euler equations?

Modified Euler equations are a set of mathematical equations used to solve problems involving the motion of a fluid. They are a modified version of the Euler equations, which are a set of equations that describe the conservation of mass, momentum, and energy in a fluid.

2. How do Modified Euler equations differ from Euler equations?

Modified Euler equations differ from Euler equations in that they take into account the effects of viscosity and thermal conductivity, which are neglected in the original Euler equations. This makes them more accurate for real-world fluid problems.

3. What is the purpose of using Modified Euler equations?

The purpose of using Modified Euler equations is to accurately model and predict the behavior of fluids in real-world scenarios. They are particularly useful for studying turbulent flows and situations where viscosity and thermal conductivity play a significant role in the fluid motion.

4. How are Modified Euler equations derived?

Modified Euler equations are derived from the Navier-Stokes equations, which are a set of equations that describe the motion of a fluid. The Navier-Stokes equations are simplified and then further modified to account for the effects of viscosity and thermal conductivity, resulting in the Modified Euler equations.

5. What are some applications of Modified Euler equations?

Modified Euler equations have many applications in various fields, including aerospace engineering, meteorology, and oceanography. They are used to model and simulate the behavior of fluids in aircraft design, weather prediction, and ocean currents, among other things.