Reading on a weighing scale

In summary, the vessels filled with the same height of water have different readings on a weighing scale because while the force exerted by water on the base of the vessel is the same, the normal reaction measured by the weighing scale is not. This is due to the difference in the volume and mass of water in the vessels, resulting in a difference in the net downward force exerted.
Abhishekdas
Reading on a weighing scale...

Homework Statement

Two vessels have the same base area but different shapes.The first vessel takes twice the volume of water that the second vessel requires to fill up to a particular common height. IS the force excerted by water on the base of the vessel same in the two cases? If so, why do the vessels filled with water to the same height have different redings on a weighing scale...

Homework Equations

P=P0 + h*density*g

The Attempt at a Solution

Now i got the first part that the force excerted by water on the base of the vessel in both cases is same...because h,density of water and g is smae in both cases...

And the second part is obvious but what is the machanism of a weighing scale...I thought the weighing scale measures normal reaction...So in this case isn't the normal reaction same s the force excerted ny water in the base? The extra weight is balanced by the walls...SO the normal reaction is apparently same...So how is the reading dfferent...From one angle this question seems dumb coz its like saying when i stand on a scale the muscles balance the weight of arms and stuff so the weing scale should give the weight of only the part vertically above my feet...But still...I would like to get an answer for this question...Actually don't know why we write normal reaction = mg...when certain parts of a body are not in contact with the ground or scale...
If some one asks me why is Normal reaction = mg...I will say that body is in equillibrium and hence external force shud add up to zero...
But personally i am not convinced...

Physics news on Phys.org

force exerted is not same.
its PRESSURE, force exerted per unit AREA that is same.

At that point if pressure is same force (P*A) is same...

that is at base. the remaining force will be exerted on the lateral surface of the container, which must have a y component.

Isn't the force exerted on the base different in the two containers? Because one has a larger volume, that means that it has a larger mass of water in (and therefore weight exerted on) it-doesn't this mean that the force exerted on the base of one is larger than that exerted on the base of another? I'm probably very wrong...

hello amy...

thats what i said. pressure at base is same for both. since base area is same, so total force on base is same. but NET force downwards is more for the one with more water, the remaining force being the y components of forces at the sides of the container (which can never be right cylindrical, if the first one is right cylindrical).

I know...that the downward force is same...But doesn't the weighing scale measure only normal reaction...and why is normal reaction different from force at the base...? Force at base is same for both but normal reaction isnt...

1. How does a weighing scale measure reading?

A weighing scale measures reading by using a spring or strain gauge to detect the force exerted by an object placed on the scale. This force is then converted into a digital or analog reading.

2. How accurate are weighing scale readings?

The accuracy of a weighing scale reading depends on the type and quality of the scale. Most digital scales are accurate within 0.1-0.2 pounds, while analog scales may have a larger margin of error.

3. Can weighing scales be calibrated?

Yes, most weighing scales can be calibrated to ensure accurate readings. Consult the manufacturer's instructions or a professional for proper calibration methods.

4. What is the difference between weight and mass on a weighing scale?

Weight is the measurement of the force of gravity on an object, while mass is the amount of matter in an object. On a weighing scale, weight is typically measured in pounds or kilograms, while mass is measured in grams or ounces.

5. How do I read a digital weighing scale?

To read a digital weighing scale, simply step on the scale and wait for the display to show your weight. Some scales may require you to enter your height or other information for more accurate readings. Make sure to read and follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer.