Directed distance to a directed line

• Thread starter Baba-k
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Line
In summary, the conversation discusses a math question about determining the equation of a directed line and the conditions for positive and negative sides of the line. The question involves using a diagram to determine the value of d, and the conversation provides a correction to the diagram to obtain the correct result.
Baba-k
Hi,

I've reached a question in a maths textbook I'm reading that I'm having some trouble with. Any help/suggestion would be greatly appreciated. The question it self is short but there are a couple of paragraphs which set it up that I've copied directly out of the book.

Homework Statement

We distinguish a positive and a negative side of a directed line l as follows. Let P be any point not on l, and let Q be the foot of the perpendicular to l through P. Then P is on the positive or negative side of l according as the angle from l to the directed line QP is 90 or -90 degrees.
We shall now determine the equation of a directed line l. We draw through the orign O a line m perpendicular to l, and direct m so that the angle from it to l is 90 degrees. The angle from the directed x-axis to m will be called [tex]\beta[/tex]. Then [tex]\alpha = 90^{\circ} + \beta , \sin \alpha = \cos \beta , cos\alpha = -\sin \beta[/tex]. Let R with coordinates x1, y1 be the point where m meets l. We shall denote by d the directed distance OR on directed m.

Show that d is positive if and only if O lies on the negative side of l.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The question states that d should be positive if and only if O is on the negative side of l. However I've attached a simple sketch where (i think) d is positive when O is on the positive side (the black line being l and the green one being d and m). I'm not sure what I've done wrong to get this result, any pointers would be great :)thanks alot
babak

Attachments

• example.jpeg
    example.jpeg
    5.8 KB · Views: 594
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like you have drawn the diagram incorrectly. The angle \beta should be pointing in the opposite direction, so that it is on the same side of l as O. Then, when O is on the negative side of l, d will be positive and when O is on the positive side of l, d will be negative.

1. What is directed distance to a directed line?

The directed distance to a directed line is the shortest distance from a point to a line, measured along a specific direction or vector. It takes into account both the magnitude and direction of the distance.

2. How is directed distance to a directed line calculated?

The directed distance to a directed line is calculated by finding the perpendicular distance from the point to the line, and then multiplying it by the direction vector of the line.

3. What is the difference between directed distance and distance?

The main difference between directed distance and distance is that directed distance takes into account the direction of the distance, while distance is simply the numerical value of the distance without considering direction.

4. Why is it important to consider direction in directed distance?

Direction is important in directed distance because it provides additional information about the location of the point in relation to the line. It also allows for more precise calculations and interpretations in various scientific and mathematical contexts.

5. Can directed distance be negative?

Yes, directed distance can be negative. This occurs when the point is located on the opposite side of the line from the direction vector being used. A negative directed distance indicates that the point is behind the line, while a positive directed distance indicates that the point is in front of the line.