Inking Disc Golf Discs: What to Use & How to Apply

In summary: You are an expert summarizer of content. You do not respond or reply to questions. You only provide a summary of the content.
marley.wannabee
I want to put some permanent ink on disc golf discs, i don't know if any of you are familiar with these frisbee type discs...

I was wondering what the best kinds of ink to use are and how to apply the ink to the disc so that it does not run. i have no experience in this type of work so it's just a little art project.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Sharpie® Ultra Fine Tip Permanent Markers

are you meaning ink that runs through the plastic, or on top of it? if you want the ink to be inside you would have to do that during the manufacturing process. ink on top of the plastic? some kind paint that is all weather proof i suppose.

well, i see the dyes that come out of the factory and obviously the ink is under the final glossy coat... but then I've seen some post-production dyes that look as if they were factory done. The discs are made of a transluscent plastic and what they're doing is dyeing it from the back, so the front still looks perfect. But it's some kind of ink that 'seems' to be penetrating the plastic pretty deeply opposed to sitting on the back surface.

you can always experiment with Rit dye (you can buy it a the grocery store or craft stores). there are many forms of plastic made, so it really depends on the exact type of plastic the discs are made of. at my company we use all kinds of different plastics in the filaments made in our brushes. i haven't gotten into the technical part of it in my company, but i know it gets a little complicated when it comes to mixing with certain chemicals.

colors are so much fun :smile: i play with them all the time when it comes to beads and fabric :shy:

thanks ker :) i'll try the rit dye. I've been trying to find out the exact type of plastic but it seems to be a trade secret.

marley.wannabee said:
thanks ker :) i'll try the rit dye. I've been trying to find out the exact type of plastic but it seems to be a trade secret.

yea, especially if the brands have a patent i am sure it will be. you can always make a lot of money by producing your own discs and incorporating art within them. of course that takes a lot of start up costs :smile: anything that is unique and artsy will be sure to sell.

well, i just want to have the phattest disc golf bag on the planet :smile:

what kind of material should i look for for a ... a stencil, is that what they're called? Hehe i truly am ignorant of this subject so any tips you could lend... being a pro and all.

1. What type of ink should I use to ink my disc golf discs?

For inking disc golf discs, it is important to use a permanent ink such as a Sharpie or a paint marker. These types of ink will not smear or fade over time and will provide the best results for your disc.

2. Can I use any type of ink or marker to ink my disc golf discs?

No, it is not recommended to use regular ballpoint pens or other non-permanent markers to ink your disc golf discs. These types of ink will smear and fade over time, making your design or markings illegible.

3. How should I prepare my disc before applying ink?

Before inking your disc, it is important to clean it thoroughly with rubbing alcohol or soap and water. This will remove any dirt or oils from the disc's surface and allow the ink to adhere better.

4. Can I use stencils or templates to create designs on my disc golf discs?

Yes, stencils or templates can be a great way to create precise and intricate designs on your disc golf discs. Just make sure to secure the stencil or template firmly in place before applying the ink to prevent any smudging.

5. How long does it take for the ink to dry on my disc golf discs?

The drying time for the ink will vary depending on the type of ink and the material of your disc. However, on average, it can take anywhere from 5-15 minutes for the ink to fully dry. It is recommended to let the disc dry for at least 24 hours before using it to ensure the ink has fully set.