Geological vs. Mechanical Engineering

In summary, the speaker is currently a junior in geological engineering but is considering switching to mechanical engineering. They initially chose geological engineering for the energy industry but now realize they want to love their job and are interested in designing hunting and fishing gear for outdoor companies. The speaker is also interested in the traveling opportunities in ME and is considering grad school. They are advised to carefully consider their decision and are reassured that ME covers topics related to renewable energy and fossil fuels. ME also provides a wider understanding of other engineering disciplines and can lead to opportunities in various industries.
dudleykid
Hello. I am currently finishing up my first semester as a junior in geological engineering. I have been thinking about changing to mechanical engineering. I chose geological engineering because I wanted to get into the energy industry either geothermal (because I am from Nevada) or oil. I feel like I was doing that for the money and power. I realized that I don't really care about the money anymore. Either way I will make good cash, right? I want to love my job. I enjoy the outdoors and I love to fly fish and hunt. I think having a job designing hunting and fishing gear for a outdoor company like Cabelas, Scheels, or Patagonia would be the ideal job. I also got into geological for the traveling and I believe ME's travel just as much if they want to, right? If I do change I think I will be set back about one year or so. I have also considered grad school, would it be ok to graduate with a GE degree and then go to grad school for ME? I would love advice!

Physics news on Phys.org
In ME we have an entire module for 3 or more years based around renewable energies, fossil fuels, fluid dynamics, thermal dynamics and the like. So you're still covered for gas/oil etc. Also because we get an far wider understanding of other engineering disciplines we are more likely to get hire to work on an oil rig for example than other engineers. ME will take you wherever you want it to! But don't change your course on a whim, think about it very carefully! If you want to design products, then maybe product design would be a better option for you?

I hope this helps.

1. What is the main difference between geological and mechanical engineering?

Geological engineering focuses on the study of the Earth's materials, processes, and structures, while mechanical engineering is concerned with the design, development, and production of mechanical systems.

2. Can geological engineers also work as mechanical engineers?

Yes, they can. Many geological engineers have a strong background in mechanical engineering and are able to apply their knowledge and skills to both fields.

3. Which field has better job prospects, geological or mechanical engineering?

Both fields have good job prospects, but it ultimately depends on the specific industry and current demand. Geological engineers may have more opportunities in the mining and environmental sectors, while mechanical engineers may have more options in manufacturing and technology industries.

4. Is there any overlap between geological and mechanical engineering?

Yes, there is some overlap between the two fields. For example, geological engineers may use mechanical engineering principles to design equipment for mining or drilling operations, while mechanical engineers may use geological knowledge to design structures that can withstand natural hazards.

5. Which field requires more fieldwork, geological or mechanical engineering?

Geological engineering typically involves more fieldwork, as it requires studying and analyzing the Earth's surface and subsurface materials. Mechanical engineering may involve some fieldwork, but it is generally more focused on design and testing in a laboratory setting.