Building a Wind Generator with a DC Motor

In summary, the conversation discusses building a wind generator using a DC motor and determining the appropriate motor size and blade size for optimal power generation. The formula for power as a function of wind speed and turbine area is mentioned as well as the levels of difficulty in designing the blade shapes.
wright3400
Hi everyone. This is my first time trying this. So please be gentle. My question is to do with a dc motor. I want to build a wind generator and I am trying to figure out what size motor to start with and try to size the blades to get the best out of it. I know that their is a lot of other questions, but I can at least get started. Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

How much power do you want to generate? Have you looked at commercially available wind turbines to see how much power goes with what size blades?

wright3400 said:
out what size motor to start with and try to size the blades to get the best out of it. I know that their is a lot of other questions, but I can at least get started. Thanks

At the bottom of this section is a formula for power as a function of wind speed and turbine area. Just guess the 'power coefficient' and match that result to the motor power.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betz'_law#Betz.27_law_and_coefficient_of_performance

There are many levels of difficulty in designing the blade shapes depending on how much you want to optimize it. You could use some ideal calculations (perhaps see 'momentum equation' for fluids), empricial data tables or CFD modelling.

1. How does a DC motor work in a wind generator?

A DC motor works by converting electrical energy into mechanical energy. In a wind generator, the blades of the turbine spin due to the force of the wind. This rotation is transferred to the DC motor, which then converts the mechanical energy into electrical energy.

2. What materials are needed to build a wind generator with a DC motor?

The materials needed include a DC motor, blades/turbine, a tower or mount, wiring, a charge controller, and a battery. Optional materials may include a wind vane, anemometer, and inverter.

3. How much power can a wind generator with a DC motor produce?

The power output of a wind generator depends on several factors, such as the wind speed, the size and efficiency of the blades, and the quality of the DC motor. On average, a wind generator with a DC motor can produce anywhere from 100 to 1000 watts of power.

4. Can I connect a wind generator with a DC motor to my home's electrical system?

Yes, it is possible to connect a wind generator with a DC motor to your home's electrical system. However, it is important to consult with a professional electrician to ensure that the system is installed safely and in compliance with local building codes.

5. How much does it cost to build a wind generator with a DC motor?

The cost of building a wind generator with a DC motor can vary depending on the size and quality of materials used. On average, it can cost anywhere from $200 to $2000. However, the long-term savings on electricity bills and environmental benefits make it a worthwhile investment.