MD-Orienting lattice in LAMMPS

• Thread starter tjjoseph
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lattice
In summary, the conversation is about reproducing results of a couette flow from a paper by Thompson & Troian. The lattice orientation used in the paper is [11-2] for the x-direction and (111) for the walls. The speaker has written statements in LAMMPS to reproduce it and is seeking confirmation or guidance from literature. They are advised to post their query on the LAMMPS mailing list for assistance.
tjjoseph
I am trying to reproduce results of a couette flow from a paper by Thompson & Troian.
Which has a lattice orientation as follows:

"x-direction of the fluid cell is aligned along the [11-2] orientation of the fcc lattice comprising the wall"&
"each wall of the cell consists of atoms forming two (111) planes of a fcc.

I have written the following statements in LAMMPS to reproduce it but I am not certain if it is correct.
I would greatly appreciate it if someone could confirm it or guide to some literature which could help me out.

lattice fcc 0.81 orient x 1 1 -2 orient y 1 1 1 orient z 1 -1 0
create_atoms 1 region fluid units box
lattice fcc 3.24 orient x -1 1 0 orient y 1 1 1 orient z 1 1 -2
create_atoms 2 region btm_wall units box
create_atoms 3 region top_wall units box

Physics news on Phys.org
That should be posted in LAMMPS mailing list. There you will get help.

1. What is a MD-Orienting lattice in LAMMPS?

A MD-Orienting lattice in LAMMPS is a type of simulation used in Molecular Dynamics (MD) studies. It involves arranging the atoms in a crystal lattice structure and using MD simulations to study their behavior and interactions.

2. How is a MD-Orienting lattice created in LAMMPS?

A MD-Orienting lattice can be created in LAMMPS using the create_atoms command. This command allows you to specify the number of atoms, their positions, and their types, which can be used to create a crystal lattice structure.

3. What are the advantages of using a MD-Orienting lattice in LAMMPS?

MD-Orienting lattices allow for the study of a variety of materials and systems, including solids, liquids, and gases. They also provide a well-defined starting structure, making it easier to compare simulation results to experimental data.

4. Can a MD-Orienting lattice be used for non-crystalline materials?

Yes, MD-Orienting lattices can be used for non-crystalline materials. While they are commonly used for studying crystalline materials, they can also be used for amorphous or disordered materials by creating a lattice with a high degree of disorder.

5. Are there any limitations to using a MD-Orienting lattice in LAMMPS?

One limitation of using a MD-Orienting lattice is that it assumes a perfect crystal structure, which may not accurately represent the real material. Additionally, the size and shape of the lattice can also affect the simulation results, so it is important to choose an appropriate lattice for the system being studied.