Proofs for limits, feels unfamilar

In summary, the function sqrt(2x-1)/sqrt(x-3) is continuous, and when graphed will produce a smooth curve between the two points x=-1 and x=1.
1MileCrash
Firstly, I find the math syntax on this board incredibly difficult to use, so bear with me. Using any symbol makes the text appear on the next line... I don't know if it is my browser, or what, but I tried to make due. Sorry.

Homework Statement

Construct an "epsilon minus delta" proof for each limit fact.

limit of x approaching 5 of:

(x^2 - 25) / (x - 5) = 10

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

Pre-work:

( x^2 - 25 ) / ( x - 5 )
=
( x + 5 )

0 < |x - 5| < (delta) => | ( x + 5 ) - 10 | < (epsilon)
| ( x - 5 ) | < (epsilon)

Proof:

| ( x^2 -25 ) / ( x - 5 ) | = | x - 5 | < (delta) = (epsilon)

Obviously a very simple problem since the limit statement and function are essentially the same, but I don't remember the exact "content" people are looking for when they want limits proven.

Physics news on Phys.org
That's exactly what you want. If f(x)=(x^2-25)/(x-5) then if you pick any epsilon and set delta=epsilon then |x-5|<delta implies that |f(x)-10|<epsilon.

Thank you sir, are most professors going to dislike me simplifying the function outside of the "preliminary analysis" most of them call for?

For example:

limit x -> 1 of
( 10x^3 - 26x^2 + 22x - 6 ) / ( x - 1 )^2

f(x) = 10x - 6

Preliminary:

0 < | x - 1 | < delta => | (10x - 6) - 4 | < epsilon
=> | (10x - 10 | < epsilon
=> 10 | x - 1 | < epsilon
=> | x - 1 | < epsilon / 10

Proof:

| ( 10x - 6 ) - 4 | = | 10x - 10 | = 10 | x - 1 | < 10(delta) = epsilon

Can I just treat the problem as if they gave me 10x - 6 from the get-go, or should I show my work for that in the preliminary work? I'm always careful about these things because it's only partially knowing the math.

Last edited:
(10x^3 - 26x^2 + 22x - 6)/(x-1)^2 is the SAME thing as 10x - 6 UNLESS x=1. And if you are evaluating the limit as x->1 you don't care about the value of the function at x=1. Not even a little. If you can convince your professor by stating you understand that the functions aren't the SAME, but they are for the purpose of evaluating the limit, then I really don't think any reasonable person could possibly object.

IMO, you should always show your working, so you should add how you simplified your numerator, as it's not entirely obvious by inspection =)

Slats18 said:
IMO, you should always show your working, so you should add how you simplified your numerator, as it's not entirely obvious by inspection =)

Sure, sure. You should probably also show you factored (10x^3 - 26x^2 + 22x - 6) to (x-1)^2*(10x-6). Wouldn't hurt for the purposes of the presentation.

Alright guys, I worked on this one for a good 15 minutes today... I don't have my attempt at a solution, it's huge and in my notes, but I got stuck.

lim
x -> 4 f(x) = sqrt(7)

f(x) = [sqrt(2x-1)] / [sqrt(x-3)]

Any takers on this doozie?

What is the question? You seem to have written this reversed: if f(x)= sqrt(2x-1)/sqrt(x-3) then limit as x-> 4 of f(x) is sqrt(7).

But what are you asking? If you are just asking how to show that, since sqrt is a continuous function, this is simply sqrt(2(4)- 1))/sqrt(4- 3)= sqrt(7)/sqrt(1)= sqrt(7).

If you are asking how to prove it from the definition, then you are going to have to look at
[tex]\frac{\sqrt{2x-1}}{\sqrt{x-3}}- \sqrt{7}= \frac{\sqrt{2x-1}- \sqrt{7x- 21}}{\sqrt{x- 3}}[/tex]
and I would recommend multiplying both numerator and denominator by the complement,
[tex]\sqrt{2x-1}+ \sqrt{7x- 21}[/tex]

What are proofs for limits?

Proofs for limits are mathematical techniques used to prove the existence and value of a limit for a given function. They involve manipulating equations and using logical reasoning to show that a certain value is approached by a function as the input approaches a certain value.

Why do we use proofs for limits?

Proofs for limits are important because they provide a rigorous and formal way to verify the existence and value of limits. They also help to understand the behavior of functions and their limits, which is crucial in many areas of mathematics and science.

What are some common techniques used in proofs for limits?

Some common techniques used in proofs for limits include the epsilon-delta method, the squeeze theorem, and the definition of a limit. These techniques involve manipulating inequalities, using logical statements, and working with sequences and series to prove the existence and value of limits.

Can proofs for limits be challenging?

Yes, proofs for limits can be challenging because they require a strong understanding of mathematical concepts, logical reasoning skills, and the ability to manipulate equations effectively. They may also involve complex calculations and multiple steps, making them time-consuming and difficult to grasp for some individuals.

How can I improve my skills in proofs for limits?

To improve your skills in proofs for limits, it is important to have a strong foundation in calculus and algebra. Practice regularly with different examples and problems, and seek help from a teacher or tutor if needed. It is also helpful to understand the concepts behind the proof techniques and to think critically about the steps involved in each proof.