Frequency of Electron Transition from (n+1) to n State

In summary, Pranav-Arora is asking for help with a homework problem, but is not able to solve it on his own. He eventually uses a calculator and finds that option (a) is the correct answer.
Saitama

Homework Statement

When an electron makes a transition from (n+1) state to nth state, the frequency of emitted radiations is related to n according to (n>>1):
(a)[itex]v=\frac{2cRZ^2}{n^3}[/itex]
(b)[itex]v=\frac{cRZ^2}{n^4}[/itex]
(c)[itex]v=\frac{cRZ^2}{n^2}[/itex]
(a)[itex]v=\frac{2cRZ^2}{n^2}[/itex]

Homework Equations

[tex]\frac{1}{\lambda}=RZ^2(\frac{1}{n_1^2}-\frac{1}{n_2^2})[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Solving the above equation and substituting the values i get:-
[tex]v=cRZ^2(\frac{1}{n^2}-\frac{1}{(n+1)^2})[/tex]

[tex]v=cRZ^2(\frac{2n+1}{n^2(n+1)^2})[/tex]

Now i am stuck, what should i do next?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's always a good idea when you're having trouble with a math problem to check whether you've used all the information given. You haven't used n>>1.

pmsrw3 said:
It's always a good idea when you're having trouble with a math problem to check whether you've used all the information given. You haven't used n>>1.

I don't know how should i use n>>1? :confused:

Well, try an example. Substitute in a big n, 100 for instance, and see what you get. Check whether it's closer to a, b, c, or d. Then try to figure out why.

pmsrw3 said:
Well, try an example. Substitute in a big n, 100 for instance, and see what you get. Check whether it's closer to a, b, c, or d. Then try to figure out why.

That's a lot of calculation if i substitute n=100, and i am not able to solve it.
When i substitute n=100, i get:-
[tex]v=cRZ^2(\frac{201}{10000(10201)})[/tex]

Pranav-Arora said:
if i substitute n=100, and i am not able to solve it.
When i substitute n=100, i get:-
[tex]v=cRZ^2(\frac{201}{10000(10201)})[/tex]
There's nothing to solve! Just punch it into your calculator and see what you get. Or use http://www.google.com/landing/searchtips/#calculator". Then do the same for the four choices you're given.

That's a lot of calculation
No, that is not a lot of calculation. That's a small amount of easy calculations. You need to get used to calculating things if you're going to be taking science classes.

Last edited by a moderator:
pmsrw3 said:
There's nothing to solve! Just punch it into your calculator and see what you get. Or use http://www.google.com/landing/searchtips/#calculator". Then do the same for the four choices you're given.

Sorry, i can't use a calculator, this question is from my exam paper and in the examination room we were not allowed to use a calculator, so any other way to solve it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you in the exam room now? If so, you shouldn't be asking for help. If not, then you can use a calculator.

pmsrw3 said:
Are you in the exam room now? If so, you shouldn't be asking for help. If not, then you can use a calculator.

No, don't talk silly, how can i be in the examination room and post a question?

So use a calculator.

Ok i did it using a calculator, i get my answer to be (a) option.

Good. Now see if you can figure out why it comes out so close. If it's not obvious, try a few other n's.

I like Serena said:
Hi Pranav-Arora! :smile:

If n >> 1, you can neglect small amounts in additions.
So for instance, n + 1 ≈ n
In the example where you calculated with n=100, you should e.g. replace 201 by 200.

Can you do that in your expression?

Hi! :smile:
If i solve it as you said, i again get (a) option.

But what's the correct method?

My apologies pmsrw3, it was not my intention to interfere, so I deleted my post. :blushing:

Pranav-Arora said:
But what's the correct method?
That's it. If you try a bunch of calculations, it should become obvious that when n is big, n is practically the same as n+1, and 2n is practically the same as 2n+1.

pmsrw3 said:
That's it. If you try a bunch of calculations, it should become obvious that when n is big, n is practically the same as n+1, and 2n is practically the same as 2n+1.

Thank you so much, i got it! :smile:

Well, there is a catch...
What happens if you apply this estimation rule to your equation?

Pranav-Arora said:
Solving the above equation and substituting the values i get:-
[tex]v=cRZ^2(\frac{1}{n^2}-\frac{1}{(n+1)^2})[/tex]

I like Serena said:
Well, there is a catch...
What happens if you apply this estimation rule to your equation?

It becomes zero.

Any idea why?
And how you should handle it?

I like Serena said:
Any idea why?
And how you should handle it?

No idea.

Well, if you subtract 2 almost equal large quantities, the result is small but not zero.
This is something you can not neglect.
So (n+1) - n = 1 and this is not 0.

The trick is to eliminate subtractions, before you neglect stuff.

I like Serena said:
Well, if you subtract 2 almost equal large quantities, the result is small but not zero.
This is something you can not neglect.
So (n+1) - n = 1 and this is not 0.

The trick is to eliminate subtractions, before you neglect stuff.

Thanks for clarification! :smile:
Can you please see to the thread "Atomic Structure Question" in "other Science".
tiny-tim replied that i should first find out the force, but i have never dealt with force in atomic structure. :confused:

1. What is the significance of the frequency of electron transition from (n+1) to n state?

The frequency of electron transition from (n+1) to n state is a measure of the energy difference between the two states. It is an important factor in understanding the behavior and properties of atoms and molecules, as it determines the emission or absorption of electromagnetic radiation.

2. How is the frequency of electron transition calculated?

The frequency of electron transition can be calculated using the formula: ΔE = hν, where ΔE is the energy difference between the two states, h is Planck's constant and ν is the frequency. This formula is based on the relationship between energy and frequency in quantum mechanics.

3. What factors affect the frequency of electron transition?

The frequency of electron transition is primarily affected by the energy difference between the two states, which is determined by the atomic or molecular structure. Other factors that may influence the frequency include external fields, temperature, and collisions with other particles.

4. Can the frequency of electron transition be observed?

Yes, the frequency of electron transition can be observed through spectroscopy techniques. By studying the absorption or emission of electromagnetic radiation by atoms or molecules, scientists can determine the frequency of electron transition and use it to identify the composition and properties of a substance.

5. Why is the frequency of electron transition important in chemistry?

The frequency of electron transition is important in chemistry because it is directly related to the chemical and physical properties of substances. It can provide information about the structure, composition, and behavior of atoms and molecules, which is crucial in understanding chemical reactions and designing new materials.