Finding Time Given Number Of Trials And Precision

In summary, the conversation discusses using an electronic counter and a timer to measure the number of decays in a given time interval in order to calibrate equipment for a gamma-ray experiment. The goal is to obtain a specific activity with a precision of 1%, and using the formula 1/sqrt(N), it is determined that 50 minutes of observation is needed to achieve this level of precision. The conversation also clarifies that the relative error and precision of 1% are equivalent statements.
lalover

Homework Statement

We want to measure the specific activity (number of decays per second) of a radioactive source so that we can use it to calibrate the equipment of the gamma-ray experiment. We use an electronic counter and a timer to measure the number of decays in a given time interval. In round numbers we measure 1000 decays in 5 minutes of observation. For how long should we measure in order to obtain a specific activity with a precision of 1%? Explain.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure where to begin. I thought about using the formula 1/sqrt(N), but wasn't sure if I could set that equal to the percent of precision (1%). I also hope I put this question in the right category. Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
You're on the right lines by using 1/sqrt(N) = error. You've just got to work out how to say '1%' in a different way.

Yeah I was thinking of using '.01' and setting it equal to 1/sqrt(N). If I did that, I got an answer of 50 minutes. Does that thinking seem reasonable? Thanks.

Well don't you have to convert the relative error by the amount measure to get absolute error? So would it be 0.01 times 1000? I'm not sure what the amount measured would be here.

lalover said:
Yeah I was thinking of using '.01' and setting it equal to 1/sqrt(N). If I did that, I got an answer of 50 minutes. Does that thinking seem reasonable? Thanks.

Yes that's what I had in mind when I read the OP. Make [itex]\sqrt{N}/N = 0.01[/itex], which corresponds to 10000 counts or approximately 50 min.

BTW. I'm assuming that your 1/sqrt(N) comes from sqrt(N)/N, right?

Well our professor just gave us 1/sqrt(N), but I can see how it's equivalent to sqrt(N)/N. So you disagree with what davo789 said?

Sorry chaps, I've just realized that I've got myself into a terrible muddle!

sqrt(N) is the absolute error on N. So therefore, as you say, sqrt(N)/N is the relative error, and uart's answer is correct, of course! I've edited my OP just to make things clear; apologies for any confusion!

So the original answer of 50 minutes is correct? And "precision of 1%" is just another way of saying the relative error is equal to .01? Thanks again.

Yes, 50mins is correct. Yes, those two statements are equivalent. What you have found is how many measurements you need to take before you have the accuracy/error/precision of 1%.

Ok, great. Thanks a lot.

1. What is "Finding Time Given Number Of Trials And Precision"?

"Finding Time Given Number Of Trials And Precision" is a scientific method used to determine the amount of time needed to perform a certain number of trials while maintaining a desired level of precision. It involves calculating the average time for one trial and then multiplying it by the number of trials to find the total time needed.

2. Why is "Finding Time Given Number Of Trials And Precision" important?

This method is important because it allows scientists to plan and allocate their time effectively for experiments and studies. By knowing the estimated time needed for a certain number of trials, researchers can better manage their time and resources to achieve their desired level of precision.

3. How do you calculate the average time for one trial?

The average time for one trial can be calculated by dividing the total time for all trials by the number of trials. For example, if the total time for 10 trials is 50 seconds, the average time for one trial would be 5 seconds (50 seconds / 10 trials = 5 seconds).

4. How does precision affect the total time needed for a set number of trials?

The higher the desired level of precision, the longer the total time needed for a set number of trials. This is because more time is required to ensure accurate and precise results. Therefore, it is important to consider the trade-off between precision and time when planning experiments.

5. Are there any limitations to "Finding Time Given Number Of Trials And Precision"?

Yes, there are some limitations to this method. It assumes that the time for each trial is consistent and that the precision is equally important for all trials. In reality, there may be variations in trial times and some trials may require more precision than others. It is important to use this method as a rough estimate and adjust accordingly based on the specific experiment or study.