Verifying phi(x) is an explicit solutionDomain = RInterval: x>=-2

• Thread starter joeseppe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ode
In summary, the conversation is about a student struggling with their engineering math class and seeking help with a specific problem involving a first order differential equation and a given function. The student is asked to find the domain and interval of definition for the function in order to verify it as a solution to the differential equation.
joeseppe
Just started Engineering Math III and have a question. Sorry about the notation, our library computers have scripts disabled.

My math prof does a poor job of explaining the concepts. Help me out!

Homework Statement

Verify the indicated function y=phi(x) is an explicit solution of the given first order DE. Proceed by considering phi simply as a function, give its domain. Then by considering phi as a solution of the DE, give at least one interval I of definition.

Homework Equations

(y-x)y'=y-x+8
y=x+4(root(x+2))

The Attempt at a Solution

I first got y'

y=x+4[(x+2)^(1/2)]
y'=2/root(x+2)

then plugged it into the original

8root(x+2) / root(x+2) = 4root(x+2) +8
8=4root(x+2)+8
0=4root(x+2)

Physics news on Phys.org
You calculated y' incorrectly. Try again.

vela said:
You calculated y' incorrectly. Try again.

y'=1=[2/root(x+2)]

Then I plugged it into the original and got both sides to equal.

BUT
I still have no idea what the original question is actually asking me to do in each part?

The first thing you're being asked for is the domain of the function [itex]\phi(x)=x+4\sqrt{x+2}[/itex]. The solution to a differential equation, however, is valid on some interval, which isn't necessarily the same as the domain of the solution. The question is asking you for this interval as well.

It's probably easiest to understand the difference by seeing specific examples, so you may find the following page helpful:

http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/DE/IoV.aspx

1. What does "verifying phi(x) is an explicit solution" mean?

Verifying phi(x) is an explicit solution means checking if a given function phi(x) satisfies a given differential equation and boundary conditions. In this case, the function phi(x) must be defined for all real numbers (R) and must have an interval of x greater than or equal to -2.

2. How do you verify if phi(x) is an explicit solution?

To verify if phi(x) is an explicit solution, you need to substitute the function into the given differential equation and see if it satisfies the equation for all values of x in the specified domain. You also need to check if the function satisfies the given boundary conditions.

3. What is the importance of verifying an explicit solution?

Verifying an explicit solution is important because it ensures that the given function satisfies the given differential equation and boundary conditions. It also helps to eliminate any potential errors or mistakes in the solution process.

4. Can a function be an explicit solution for some values of x but not others?

Yes, it is possible for a function to be an explicit solution for some values of x but not others. This could happen if the function is undefined or discontinuous at certain points in the domain, or if it does not satisfy the given boundary conditions.

5. How is verifying an explicit solution different from finding a solution?

Verifying an explicit solution involves checking if a given function satisfies a given differential equation and boundary conditions, while finding a solution involves solving the differential equation to obtain the function itself. In other words, verifying an explicit solution is a validation process, while finding a solution is a problem-solving process.