Convex Polytope closedness

• Thread starter zcd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Convex
Using the fact that the subsequence is bounded, we can use the Bolzano-Weierstrass theorem to show that there exists a subsequence that converges to some value, which may or may not be the right value.In summary, to prove that every convex polytope is convex and closed, we can use the definition of a convex polytope and the Bolzano-Weierstrass theorem to show that any sequence within the polytope converges to some value, proving that the polytope is closed.
zcd

Homework Statement

Prove that every convex polytope is convex and closed.

Homework Equations

[tex] C=\{ \sum_{j=1}^n x_j a^j | x_j \geq 0, \sum_{j=1}^n x_j = 1\}[/tex] is a convex polytope

The Attempt at a Solution

I've already proven the convexity portion. To prove C is closed, I let [itex]\{ b^N \}_{N=1}^\infty \subseteq C[/itex] and assumed [itex]\lim_{N\to\infty} b^N = b[/itex].
[itex]b=\sum_{j=1}^n x_j a^j[/itex], so I have to show [itex]\lim_{N\to\infty} x^N = x[/itex].

I started with [itex]x_j \geq 0, \sum_{j=1}^n x_j = 1\ [/itex] means [itex] |x^N| \leq 1[/itex] and the sequence [itex]\{ x^N \}_{N=1}^\infty[/itex] is a bounded sequence. From here, I can use the Bolzano-Weierstrass theorem to show that there exists a subsequence that converges. From here, I'm unsure of what to do because the subsequence converges to some value which may or may not be the right value

Physics news on Phys.org
zcd said:
the subsequence converges to some value which may or may not be the right value

You know that the whole sequence converges to b, so every subsequence converges to b as well.

What is a convex polytope?

A convex polytope is a geometric shape that is made up of multiple flat surfaces, or faces, that are all convex. This means that the shape does not have any indentations or concave areas.

What does it mean for a convex polytope to be closed?

A convex polytope is considered closed if all of its faces are connected and there are no openings or gaps between them. Essentially, it means that the shape is solid and has a defined boundary.

What are some examples of convex polytopes?

Some examples of convex polytopes include cubes, pyramids, prisms, and regular polyhedrons such as tetrahedrons and octahedrons. These shapes are often used in geometry and architecture.

How is the closedness of a convex polytope determined?

The closedness of a convex polytope can be determined by examining its faces and ensuring that they are all connected and form a solid shape without any gaps or openings. This can also be determined using mathematical equations and geometric principles.

Why is closedness important in studying convex polytopes?

Closedness is important in studying convex polytopes because it is a defining characteristic of these shapes. It allows us to distinguish them from other geometric shapes and also plays a role in their properties and applications in various fields such as mathematics, engineering, and computer science.