Is Curl F Non-Zero in a Conservative Field?

In summary, a conservative field is a type of vector field where the line integral between any two points is independent of the path taken between those points. The curl of a vector field is a measure of its rotation or circulation, represented by the cross product of the gradient operator and the vector field. In a conservative field, the line integral is independent of the path taken, resulting in a zero curl. To determine if a vector field is conservative, one can use the fact that the curl of a conservative field is always zero or employ specific tests and criteria. A non-zero curl cannot exist in a conservative field by definition.
athrun200
It seems there are some problems on the test.
I find that Curl F is not zero, that means the field is not exact.
Am I right?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 393
Physics news on Phys.org
athrun200 said:
It seems there are some problems on the test.
I find that Curl F is not zero, that means the field is not exact.
Am I right?

I agree with you that Curl F ≠ [itex]\vec 0[/itex] so F is not the gradient of a scalar function, which I presume is what you mean by "not exact".

1. What is a conservative field?

A conservative field is a type of vector field in which the line integral between any two points is independent of the path taken between those points. In other words, the work done by the field on a particle moving between two points is only dependent on the endpoints and not the path taken.

2. What is curl in a vector field?

Curl is a measure of the rotation or circulation of a vector field. It is a vector quantity that describes the tendency of a field to rotate around a point. Mathematically, it is represented as the cross product of the gradient operator and the vector field.

3. Why is the curl of a conservative field always zero?

In a conservative field, the line integral is independent of the path taken. This means that the work done by the field on a particle moving along any closed path is always zero. Since curl represents the rotation or circulation of a field, and there is no rotation in a conservative field, the curl must be zero.

4. How do you determine if a vector field is conservative?

To determine if a vector field is conservative, you can use the property that the curl of a conservative field is always zero. This means that if the curl of a vector field is zero, it is a conservative field. Additionally, there are certain criteria and tests, such as the gradient test and the potential function test, that can also be used to determine if a vector field is conservative.

5. Can a non-zero curl exist in a conservative field?

No, a non-zero curl cannot exist in a conservative field. As explained earlier, the definition of a conservative field includes the condition that the curl must always be zero. If a vector field has a non-zero curl, it cannot be a conservative field by definition.