2012 Physics and Astronomy REU Programs

In summary: LIGO?Did anyone apply/heard back to/from the Columbia Nevis...they are having a summer symposium on LIGO?
mobilehobo said:
I fully applied at Colorado and haven't heard anything. I've accepted an offer, but they don't respond to any inquiries. I also got rejected from from SUNY even though I told them to withdraw my application. Lehigh told me they got 700 applications (how?) when I got their acceptance. According to USNews they don't have a super high-ranked program so I wonder where they get all these people.

I wonder the same thing. Do you believe Leigh university would skew the numbers for any unknown reason/motivation or?

Physics news on Phys.org
I wonder the same thing. Do you believe Leigh university would skew the numbers for any unknown reason/motivation or?

I doubt it. I don't see any reason why they would want to impress someone who they're rejecting unless they don't want you to feel bad.

I fully applied at Colorado and haven't heard anything. I've accepted an offer, but they don't respond to any inquiries. I also got rejected from from SUNY even though I told them to withdraw my application. Lehigh told me they got 700 applications (how?) when I got their acceptance. According to USNews they don't have a super high-ranked program so I wonder where they get all these people.

You're probably waitlisted from Colorado then. I must have been among the first people rejected outright because I had an incomplete application.

As for why Lehigh got so many applicants, I imagine it was a safety program for a lot of people. Columbia got 400 applicants, but anyone who wants to apply to Columbia must know how competitive it is and must have a relatively good profile. Lehigh is not a good school, but it probably looked like a good safety that's on the east coast (as opposed to say Utah or Idaho).

I noticed that a lot of schools that aren't ranked highly have REU programs. I imagine Ivy's don't want to bother with students from lesser ranked programs and have research programs for their students. Columbia and UIUC are the rare exceptions to this rule.

Anyway I still haven't heard back from Purdue, MSU, or Texas, but at this point I'm sticking with Indiana regardless.

Nano-Passion said:

they probably just sent out their flyers everywhere and got a lot of exposure.

I got an e-mail back from Vanderbilt -- they're saying they hope to complete their review of applications by the end of this week.

I just got a rejection email from Kansas State (even though I withdrew my application over a month ago :confused:) anyways they said they had over 160 applicants.

I'll be at LSU; I was offered the position on March 18. Anyone else?

Has anyone heard back from Princeton (PCCM/PRISM) yet?

Just got rejection from Vanderbilt. 9 positions for over 400 applicants. Apparently I heard back so late because they were waiting to hear back from people and I guess enough people said yes to knock me out lol oh well.

Colorado's rejection letters went out today.

Has anyone heard anything from University of Idaho? The University of Idaho and MSU are the only places I haven't heard anything from... I go to MSU and after talking to the REU coordinator here she made it sound like it was full so it's looking like Idaho is my last option!

erin526 said:
Has anyone heard anything from University of Idaho? The University of Idaho and MSU are the only places I haven't heard anything from... I go to MSU and after talking to the REU coordinator here she made it sound like it was full so it's looking like Idaho is my last option!

No haven't heard from them.