Does alcohol really help to evaporate water?

In summary, methanol or isopropanol (isopropyl alcohol, IPA) is used to remove water from natural gas piping. This solvent is not used to evaporate the water, but instead helps flush it out.
JackRuby
Hi-

For years I have always known that Methyl Alcohol is used as a method of removing water from natural gas piping. For example - a pressurized natural gas pipe has a small amount of water trapped in it. The water, under certain flow, and temperature conditions will vaporize and cause problems at meters, regulators, burner tips etc. In some cases, Methyl Alcohol or Methyenol (please forgive the spelling on that) is injected (in liquid form) to help remove the water. Occasionally Isopropyl is used too. Does anyone know the explanation to as why this helps remove the water?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Usually, methanol or isopropanol (isopropyl alcohol, IPA) would used as an organic solvent, to help clean out any organic deposit (most impurities in natural gas are organic) from the pipes. I've used both for cleaning out vacuum pipes that had been pumped on, and hence had picked up some oil vapors from the pump.

The solvent isn't really used to evaporate the water, as such. Both methanol and IPA, being pretty volatile liquids, I doubt that their addition affects the boiling point of water in any significant manner. I suspect that the liquid merely flushes out the water, and being volatile, does not stay behind.

If the liquids are actually flushed through the pipes (ie : flow is important), rather than just filled into them, that will lend weight to my suspicion.

I always thought the alcohol absorbed the water and acted as a solvent so that water and alcohol were both absorbed by the subject petrol product.

My brother the research scientist told me that alcohol is used to remove the last traces of water from cleaned lab equipment when even a small amount of water residue would affect the results. That would indicate very strongly that the technique works.

Checked w/ my brother:

The exact mechanism is that they are highly soluble in one another (since both have hydroxyl groups ie. -OH), although ethanol has a lower boiling
(vaporization) temperature than water, hence evaporates more quickly at the same temperature, and has to take some water vapour along with it to do so.

Check this reference and a quote from same reference:
http://www.ucc.ie/ucc/depts/chem/dolchem/html/comp/ethanol.html
(Google - ethanol + boiling point)

"Although the boiling point of ethanol, 78.3 degC, is significantly lower than
the boiling point of water, 100 degC, these materials cannot be separated
completely by distillation." So when they say "cannot be separated completely by distillation", this means they both evaporate mostly together. You can't leave all the water behind and evaporate off all of the ethanol! It's impossible. If it were possible this would make alcohol distillation much simpler.

HOWEVER - you can reduce the water content in ethanol by distillation, so
ethanol does evaporate FASTER than water, but it takes many (5 or 6)
distillations to increase the ethanol content to greater than 50%. Given 10 or
20 distillations, you can get "absolute ethanol". This proves that water
evaporates along with the ethanol (and does not get left behind), BUT that
ethanol evaporates faster than the water.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes zawad
Thak you very much. You have been very helpful! :smile:

1. Does alcohol evaporate water faster than other substances?

Yes, alcohol has a lower boiling point than water, meaning it can evaporate at a lower temperature. This can make it seem like alcohol evaporates water faster, but in reality, the rate of evaporation depends on several factors such as temperature, surface area, and concentration of the liquid.

2. Can alcohol completely evaporate water?

No, alcohol cannot completely evaporate water. When alcohol is mixed with water, it forms an azeotropic mixture, meaning it has a boiling point lower than either pure alcohol or water. This means that some water will always remain in the mixture, even after the alcohol has evaporated.

3. Does the type of alcohol affect its ability to evaporate water?

Yes, different types of alcohol have different boiling points, which can affect their ability to evaporate water. For example, ethanol (the type of alcohol found in alcoholic beverages) has a lower boiling point than isopropyl alcohol (commonly used as rubbing alcohol), so it may evaporate water faster.

4. Is using alcohol to evaporate water safe for all surfaces?

No, using alcohol to evaporate water may not be safe for all surfaces. Alcohol is a flammable substance and should be used with caution. It may also damage certain surfaces, such as wood or plastics, so it is important to test a small area first before using it on a larger surface.

5. Can alcohol be used to remove all types of water stains?

No, alcohol may not be effective in removing all types of water stains. It may work for certain types of stains, such as those caused by water-based paints or dyes, but it may not be effective for other types of stains, such as mineral deposits or oil-based stains.