Horizontal spring, mass and nonconstant friction

In summary, the problem involves a block attached to a spring with a spring constant of k. The system is on a surface with friction μ that increases towards the direction of the block's movement. The block is initially pushed -0.1 m to the left from the equilibrium position and then released. It moves to the right and stops at +0.2 m from the equilibrium position. The task is to find the spring constant k. To solve this, the work energy theorem and integration can be used.
Siune

Homework Statement

Hello! The problem is about spring with block attached to it. ( with spring constant = k) The system is on surface that has a friction μ increasing towards the direction of the blocks movement.

Block is pushed -0,1m ( to the left ) from the equilubrium position and then released. The block moves from the starting position, +0,3m to the right ( +0,2m from the equilubrium position) and stops. What is the spring constant k?

Homework Equations

Spring constant = k
Friction μ = 0,025 * x, increasing towards to the right.
Mass of the block = 2,7 kg

The Attempt at a Solution

The most problematic part for me is the friction not being constant.

I assume;

From -0,1 m to 0,0 m the Force due to the spring and Force due to the friction are in different directions.

From 0,0 m to 0,2 m the Force due to the spring and Force due to the friction are in same direction.

I'm not sure, but as the accelereation ain't constant ( due to the both forces depending on some variable) should I be using some definite integrals?

Or should I use some energy-theorem involving kinetic-energy and potential-energy?

Sincerely yours,
Siune

P.S I can draw a picture about the situation and scan it here, if the explanation ain't good enough. English isn't my native language. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Siune! :smile:
Siune said:
… should I use some energy-theorem involving kinetic-energy and potential-energy?

yes, use the work energy theorem (and a bit of integration) …

(KE + PE)initial - (KE + PE)final = work done by friction :wink:

1. How does the mass affect the motion of a horizontal spring?

The mass of an object affects the motion of a horizontal spring because it determines the amount of force required to compress or extend the spring. The larger the mass, the more force is needed to achieve the same displacement.

2. What is the relationship between the spring constant and the amount of friction in a horizontal spring system?

The spring constant and the amount of friction in a horizontal spring system have an inverse relationship. This means that as the spring constant increases, the amount of friction decreases and vice versa.

3. Can the friction in a horizontal spring system be constant?

No, the friction in a horizontal spring system is not constant. It varies depending on factors such as the surface material, temperature, and the speed of the object.

4. How does nonconstant friction affect the oscillation of a mass on a horizontal spring?

Nonconstant friction can affect the oscillation of a mass on a horizontal spring by changing the amplitude and frequency of the oscillations. It can also cause the oscillations to eventually stop due to the dissipation of energy.

5. How can we calculate the energy dissipated due to friction in a horizontal spring system?

The energy dissipated due to friction in a horizontal spring system can be calculated by multiplying the force of friction by the distance traveled. This can be represented by the equation W = Fd, where W is the work done by friction, F is the force of friction, and d is the distance traveled.