Black-Scholes equation (a type of diffusion equation)

In summary: I'm not sure what the point of separating variables is.In summary, the equation for the probability distribution of the price of a call option involves a time ODE and a spatial problem. The solutions for the spatial problem are of the form S^n, but the values of n can vary depending on the constants involved. There are different methods that can be used to solve this equation, such as separation of variables and Laplace transform. However, a change of variables is also often used, although the motivation behind this transformation is not fully explained.
tjackson3

Homework Statement

The equation for the probability distribution of the price of a call option is

[tex]\frac{\partial P}{\partial t} = \frac{1}{2}\sigma^2 S^2 \frac{\partial^2 P}{\partial S^2} + rS\frac{\partial P}{\partial S} - rP[/tex]

with the conditions [itex]P(0,t) = 0, P(S,0) = \max(S-K,0)[/itex], and the goal is to find the current price of the option, which is given by

[tex]\int_K^{\infty}\ (S-K)P(S,T)\ dS[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The obvious thing to try is separation of variables: [itex]P(S,t) = u(S)v(t)[/itex]. The time ODE is not homogeneous, so the eigenvalue problem is the spatial problem:

[itex]\frac{\sigma^2}{2}S^2 u'' + rSu' - (r-\lambda)u = 0, u(0) = 0[/itex]

(with the understanding that u is finite as S goes to infinity)

This is an equidimensional equation, so its solutions are of the form [itex]S^n[/itex]. Unfortunately, the form of n is not so nice:

[tex]n = \frac{(1/2)\sigma^2-r \pm \sqrt{r^2+\sigma^2 r + (1/4)\sigma^4 - 2\sigma^2\lambda}}{\sigma^2}[/tex]

Without knowing anything about the constants σ and r, I don't see how to proceed from here. I don't think you can tell a priori what you'll get: two positive exponents, one of each sign (though with the boundary conditions, you would only get the trivial solution in these cases), two negative exponents, complex exponents... it's hard to say.

The other thing that occurs to me to try is a Laplace transform. Doing that doesn't get me any farther, since it results in the same equation, except instead of the equation being homogeneous, it has that weird boundary condition on the right hand side. Since we have a semi-infinite interval with Dirichlet boundary conditions, you would expect to use a Fourier sine transform somewhere in here, but it's not directly applicable.

I've seen in different places that you can make a change of variables to condense this into a typical diffusion equation. However, I have no idea what motivates the particular change of variables they use, so I wouldn't feel right approaching it that way unless I could figure out why people make that transformation (no resource I've found has adequately explained this. For example, they change the independent variables to [itex]S = Ke^x,t = T-\tau/(\sigma^2/2)[/itex]. I can sort of understand the S change, since that is how you solve an equidimensional equation. I think the t change is an artifact from this equation normally taking place in finite time)

Any thoughts? Thank you so much! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm noticing that the solution doesn't even look separable

1. What is the Black-Scholes equation?

The Black-Scholes equation is a mathematical model used to predict the price of European-style options. It takes into account factors such as the stock price, strike price, time to expiration, risk-free interest rate, and volatility of the underlying asset.

2. How does the Black-Scholes equation work?

The equation uses the concept of diffusion, which is the tendency of particles to spread out over time. It calculates the expected value of an option by considering the probability of the stock price reaching a certain level at expiration. This probability is then discounted to present value to determine the fair price of the option.

3. What are the assumptions made in the Black-Scholes equation?

The Black-Scholes equation assumes a constant risk-free interest rate, no dividends, and a lognormal distribution for the stock price. It also assumes that the option can only be exercised at expiration and that there are no transaction costs or taxes involved.

4. Can the Black-Scholes equation be used for all types of options?

No, the Black-Scholes equation is specifically designed for European-style options, which can only be exercised at expiration. It cannot be used for American-style options, which can be exercised at any time before expiration.

5. How accurate is the Black-Scholes equation in predicting option prices?

The Black-Scholes equation is a theoretical model and does not perfectly predict option prices. It is based on several assumptions that may not hold true in real-world situations. However, it is widely used in the financial industry and has been shown to provide reasonably accurate estimates for option prices.