Applying Chemistry to the real world

In summary, to find the mass density and number of atoms in a building, we must calculate the number of moles of CaCO3 in it, and then use mole amounts to find the correct answer.
physicsss
Hi, I need to find the mass density and the number of atoms in a building that has a volume of 53306 cm^3. I know the building is made out of calcium carbonate, but I have no idea how to go about doing it. Do I need to assume the mass of the builing and find its mass density using D=M/V? What things can I assume? I know I need to use avogadro's number somewhere in there for the second part of the problem.

thanks in advance,

yours truely

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Hello, we all know that a structure with solid concrete (calcium carbonate) won't be much stable without any steel framework. However, we can even try to find its density, but keep in mind that this calculation will not reflect the reality. Otherwise, you may try to find the percentages of this building in terms of concrete, steel, glass, brick, etc.

Well, the expression 53306 cc equals to 53.306 liters, so this is not as big as a building I first assumed. We are dealing with a very small copy of a big building, if I'm not wrong.

Mass density is generally given in the form of grams/liter, but we don't know if the "building" is made up of solid (with no spaces in it) concrete. If there are some spaces, we'll have to subtract them in order to find the correct mass of the building. The unit density of calcium carbonate is, according to this website, 2.83 g/mL. You can do the calculation starting from this point, I think.

clarify

sorry, it's actually a pillar. And it's solely made out of calcium carbonate. Is there any way I can do the problem without having to use the unit density of calcium carbonate? The problem says we can assume many things...

The weight of pillar must be given in order to calculate its density. This is because you were not given the weight, but volume instead. To use Avogadro's number, you'll need the weight. Frankly, I haven't found any way to calculate further without knowing the weight of the pillar.

This is probably a stupid question, but i'll ak anyway...
So after I calculated how many CaCO3 is is in the pillar, I need to multiply by 5 since there are five things that make up CaCO3, right?

No, you are on a wrong lane to reach the correct answer. You must use mole amounts to learn the correct thing, in which one mole of CaCO3 makes 100 grams. I'll allow you to find the correct route by yourself.

OK, say the mass is 50 grams. So 50 g CaCO3 X 1 mol CaCO3/100g CaCO3 X 6.022E23 CaCO3/1 mol CaCO3= number of molecules of CaCO3, right? Then I multiply it by 5 since there are five atoms that make up CaCO3, one Ca, one C, and 3 O's? Is this right?

Well, it seems okay, since you are looking for the number of atoms. About density, what do you think?

1. What are some real-world applications of chemistry?

Chemistry is used in a wide range of industries and fields, including medicine, agriculture, food science, environmental science, and materials science. Some common examples of how chemistry is applied in these areas include drug development, pesticide production, food preservation, pollution control, and development of new materials for technology.

2. How can chemistry be used to improve our daily lives?

Chemistry plays a crucial role in our daily lives, from the food we eat to the products we use. It is used to create and improve everyday products such as cosmetics, cleaning agents, and medicines. Chemistry is also important in developing sustainable and renewable energy sources, which can help improve our quality of life.

3. How does chemistry impact the environment?

Chemistry has a significant impact on the environment, both positive and negative. On one hand, it is used to develop solutions for environmental problems, such as cleaning up pollution and developing alternative energy sources. On the other hand, chemical processes can also contribute to pollution and environmental degradation if not properly managed.

4. What are some ethical considerations when applying chemistry in the real world?

Like any other field, chemistry also has ethical considerations that must be taken into account. This includes ensuring the safety and well-being of individuals in the workplace, minimizing harm to the environment, and considering the potential long-term effects of chemicals on human health and the environment.

5. How can chemistry be used to solve global challenges?

Chemistry is essential in addressing global challenges and creating a more sustainable future. For instance, it can be used to develop new materials that are more efficient and environmentally friendly, as well as to improve processes for recycling and waste management. Chemistry also plays a crucial role in finding solutions to challenges such as climate change, food scarcity, and water pollution.