What is essential issue between Democrats and Republicans

• News
  • Thread starter Ted Baiamonte
  • Start date
In summary, the central issue since 1800 has been freedom versus government. However, the framing of all elections in this way is not a good approach as without government, there would only be anarchy and rule by force. The essential issue today is the government's authority to intervene in personal matters or allow individuals to fail, with Democrats leaning towards intervention and Republicans towards exposure. The parties also differ in their ideologies and approaches to running the country. However, there is no single issue that divides the two parties and their beliefs about each other.
It is very difficult to justify a two-party dichotomy in the US. For example, I am a fiscal conservative and a progressive on social issues. I really don't fit into either party, and haven't been enrolled in either since I enrolled as a Democrat temporarily to try to sway the result of the caucuses during the Gephardt/Jackson primary campaigns.

My wife and I are independents, and we do not vote for a candidate because there is a D or an R beside their name. Read the papers, watch the news, and try to determine how much of their "positions" are blather and pandering and how much is real, then vote accordingly.

Physics news on Phys.org
jduster said:
... there is no parsimonious sentence that could sum up both parties.
How about the idea that candidates of either party can be expectied to act in the interest of big business and big finance?