Venus passes in front of our sun

• Thread starter Naty1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sun Venus
In summary, the transit of Venus was seen by many people across the world, with some interesting observations being made.
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Interesting question to consider. How much of the Sun's energy in percentage was blocked from the Earth during its passage across the sun? Would it be Venus pi radius squared divided by Sun's pi radius squared times 100 to determine percentage?

Last edited:
Transit of Venus with Condoleezza Rice Goddess of Love to "Bright Eyes"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbC3BxJ1sbA

Transit of Venus with Condoleezza Rice Goddess of Love to "Bright Eyes" (YouTube)

Music video.

5 & 6th June 2012. Photographs of the planet Venus in transit across the face of the Sun. Photographs of Condoleezza Rice.

Set to music "Bright Eyes" by Art Garfunkel.

seniorracer71 said:
Interesting question to consider. How much of the Sun's energy in percentage was blocked from the Earth during its passage across the sun? Would it be Venus pi radius squared divided by Sun's pi radius squared times 100 to determine percentage?

No, you can't use the actual sizes of Venus and the Sun. You have to use the apparent size. This requires you to figure out the angular size of each object. Once you do that you can find the apparent area of each one and then subtract Venus from the Suns area to get a good approximation of the amount of light blocked by Venus. You can use a calculator to help, such as this one: http://rechneronline.de/sehwinkel/angular-diameter.php
Just input the first two values and it should give you the angular diameter of Venus and the Sun.

In the eighth photo from the top (it's a sequence of photos with subtext "A composite sequence photo of the steps of the entire transit of Venus seen over the sky of Seoul"), Why does it appear to follow a circular track? Intuitively it doesn't make sense to me but I'm sure I'm just not thinking about it in the right way. I expected it to be more of a straight path.

some_letters said:
In the eighth photo from the top (it's a sequence of photos with subtext "A composite sequence photo of the steps of the entire transit of Venus seen over the sky of Seoul"), Why does it appear to follow a circular track? Intuitively it doesn't make sense to me but I'm sure I'm just not thinking about it in the right way. I expected it to be more of a straight path.

I would guess that the camera wasn't rotated as the Sun progressed across the sky. This happens if you don't use an equatorial mount.

Drakkith said:
I would guess that the camera wasn't rotated as the Sun progressed across the sky. This happens if you don't use an equatorial mount.

Or there is some serious pincushion defect to the optics used to capture the sequence.

Venus passes in front of our sun! What a cheeky little planet.

Garth said:
Is is my imagination or is 'the goddess of love' heart shaped?

When Venus rises with the Sun
:rolleyes:

Garth

Transit with the etruscan vase! :!)

I did see the transit here, after a looong wait for clouds to clear...for about a minute... :rolleyes:

What is a Venus pass in front of the sun?

A Venus pass in front of the sun, also known as a transit of Venus, occurs when the planet Venus travels between the Earth and the sun, appearing to pass in front of the sun's disk.

How often does a Venus pass in front of the sun occur?

Venus passes in front of the sun in pairs, with each pair occurring eight years apart. The pairs themselves occur approximately 105.5 years apart, so a Venus pass in front of the sun happens about every 105.5 years.

Why are Venus passes in front of the sun important to scientists?

Venus passes in front of the sun are important to scientists because they provide an opportunity to study the planet's atmosphere and collect data that can be used to better understand the planet's composition, climate, and history.

How can I safely observe a Venus pass in front of the sun?

It is important to never look directly at the sun without proper eye protection. To safely observe a Venus pass in front of the sun, use a telescope with a solar filter or a pair of solar eclipse glasses. Do not use regular sunglasses or homemade filters, as they will not provide enough protection.

When is the next Venus pass in front of the sun?

The next Venus pass in front of the sun will occur on December 11, 2117. The previous one occurred on June 5-6, 2012.