The simplest formula for conduction current,displacement current and loss tangent

In summary, the conversation discusses the formula for calculating conduction current, displacement current, and loss tangent in a parallel plate capacitor. The conduction current is determined by the product of capacitance and the rate of change of voltage over time. The displacement current can be found using a formula that involves the permittivity of the material between the plates and the rate of change of voltage over time. The loss tangent is not fully explained, but it may involve a language barrier. These calculations are necessary for determining the behavior of a capacitor connected to a 12 volt 50 Hz supply with specific dimensions and material properties.
veinn
Apparently my lecturer has given me this type of quest and i really have no idea how to do this quest..anyone know the formula for conduction current..displacement current and loss tangent..please give me brief idea how to do it...what i know is that for displacement current i have to differentiation..but how??pleasezz help meeee :cry:

A parallel plate capacitor consists of two metal plates, of area 2 cm2, separated by 3 µm of porcelain with єr =5.7 and =2 X 10-13 Sm-1. The capacitor is connected to a 12 volt 50 Hz supply. Determine the conduction current, and compare it to the displacement current. In addition, calculate the loss tangent at frequencies of 50 Hz, 1 MHz, and 100 MHz

Physics news on Phys.org
The conduction current is [tex]I =C * \frac {dV}{dt}[/tex]

You know how V varies with respect to t. You will need to find C, which is not that difficult.

The displacement current D can be calculated from

[tex]\frac{\partial D}{\partial t} = - \frac{\epsilon}{w} * \frac{dV}{dt}[/tex]
w is the distance between the condensatorplates. Keep in mind that there is porcelain between the plates.

I am not too sure what you mean by loss tangent, but i think this is a language problem :) ?

marlon

ps : this is just a general overview to get you started on this one. I am not allowed to give too much info for the obvious reason

The simplest formula for conduction current is I = V/R, where I is the current, V is the voltage, and R is the resistance. In this case, the resistance will be the resistance of the porcelain material, which can be calculated using the formula R = ρl/A, where ρ is the resistivity of the material, l is the distance between the plates, and A is the area of the plates.

To calculate the displacement current, we use the formula I = ε0εr(dV/dt), where I is the displacement current, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, εr is the relative permittivity of the material between the plates, and dV/dt is the rate of change of voltage with respect to time. In this case, we can find the value of dV/dt by dividing the given frequency (50 Hz) by the voltage (12 V).

For the loss tangent, we use the formula tanδ = εrIm(σ)/ε0Re(σ), where tanδ is the loss tangent, εr is the relative permittivity, Im(σ) is the imaginary part of the conductivity, and Re(σ) is the real part of the conductivity. In this case, we can find the values of Im(σ) and Re(σ) using the given frequency and conductivity.

To solve the given problem, we first need to calculate the resistance of the porcelain material. Using the given values, we can find the resistivity (ρ) using the formula ρ = 1/σ, where σ is the conductivity. Plugging in the given conductivity, we get ρ = 5 X 10^12 Ωm. Using this value and the given distance between the plates (3 µm), we can calculate the resistance using the formula R = ρl/A. This gives us a value of 75 X 10^6 Ω.

Next, we can find the displacement current using the formula I = ε0εr(dV/dt). Plugging in the given values for ε0, εr, and dV/dt, we get a displacement current of 3.4 X 10^-12 A.

To find the loss tangent, we need to calculate the values of Im(σ) and Re(σ) at each given frequency. Using the given conductivity and frequency, we can calculate the values of Im(σ

What is the simplest formula for conduction current?

The simplest formula for conduction current is I = V/R, where I is the current (measured in amperes), V is the voltage (measured in volts), and R is the resistance (measured in ohms).

What is the simplest formula for displacement current?

The simplest formula for displacement current is I = ε₀A(dE/dt), where I is the current (measured in amperes), ε₀ is the permittivity of free space (measured in farads per meter), A is the cross-sectional area of the capacitor plates (measured in square meters), and dE/dt is the rate of change of electric field (measured in volts per meter per second).

What is the simplest formula for loss tangent?

The simplest formula for loss tangent is tanδ = ε"/ε', where δ is the loss angle, ε" is the imaginary part of the relative permittivity (measured in farads per meter), and ε' is the real part of the relative permittivity (also measured in farads per meter).

How are conduction current and displacement current related?

Conduction current and displacement current are both forms of electric current, but they have different causes. Conduction current is the flow of electrons through a conductor, while displacement current is the flow of electric displacement through a dielectric material. They are related by Maxwell's equations, which state that the sum of conduction current and displacement current is equal to the rate of change of electric flux.

What is the significance of the loss tangent in electrical circuits?

The loss tangent is a measure of the amount of energy lost in a dielectric material. In electrical circuits, it is important because it affects the efficiency of the circuit and can cause heating and power loss. A low loss tangent is desirable for efficient circuit operation, while a high loss tangent may require additional measures to prevent overheating and damage to components.