Linear operator or nonlinear operator?

In summary: L(u) + c_2 L(v)In summary, the operator L(u) = u_x + u_y + 1 is linear, as it satisfies the property L(c_1 u + c_2 v) = c_1 L(u) + c_2 L(v) for any functions u, v and constants c.
Elbobo

Homework Statement

Verify whether or not the operator

[tex]L(u) = u_x + u_y + 1[/tex]
is linear.

Homework Equations

An operator L is linear if for any functions u, v and any constants c, the property

[tex]L(c_1 u + c_2 v) = c_1 L(u) + c_2 L(v)[/tex]
holds true.

The Attempt at a Solution

I feel as though this should be a linear operator, but the "+1" throws me off as I don't know what linear operator takes any function u, v into 1.

[tex]L = \frac{\partial}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial}{\partial y} + ?[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Elbobo said:

Homework Statement

Verify whether or not the operator

[tex]L(u) = u_x + u_y + 1[/tex]
is linear.

Homework Equations

An operator L is linear if for any functions u, v and any constants c, the property

[tex]L(c_1 u + c_2 v) = c_1 L(u) + c_2 L(v)[/tex]
holds true.

The Attempt at a Solution

I feel as though this should be a linear operator, but the "+1" throws me off as I don't know what linear operator takes any function u, v into 1.

Alright so, really there's two things you want to verify, but I suppose you could combine them into one condition like that if you want.

What is [itex]L(c_1 u + c_2 v) = ?[/itex]

[tex] L = c_1 \frac{ \partial u}{\partial x} + c_1 \frac{\partial u}{\partial y} + c_2 \frac{ \partial v}{\partial x} + c_2 \frac{\partial v}{\partial y} + ? [/tex]

I'm still confused by that constant term.

Last edited:
Elbobo said:
[tex] L = c_1 \frac{ \partial u}{\partial x} + c_1 \frac{\partial u}{\partial y} + c_2 \frac{ \partial u}{\partial x} + c_2 \frac{\partial u}{\partial y} + ? [/tex]

I'm still confused by that constant term.

Just literally write out what the transform would give you, so :

[itex]L(c_1 u + c_2 v) = c_1u_x + c_1u_y + c_1 + c_2v_x + c_2v_y + c_2[/itex]

Can you continue from there? Get it into the form [itex]c_1 L(u) + c_2 L(v)[/itex]

Sorry for the typos everywhere earlier (edited now).

[tex]L(c_1 u + c_2 v) = c_1 u_x + c_1 u_y + c_1 + c_2 v_x + c_2 v_y + c_2[/tex]
[tex]= c_1 (u_x + u_y + 1) + c_2 (v_x + v_y + 1)[/tex]
[tex]= c_1 L(u) + c_2 L(v)[/tex]

So is that what you were guiding me to? If I did that correctly, it makes a lot more sense now, thank you. If not...

Elbobo said:
Sorry for the typos everywhere earlier (edited now).

[tex]L(c_1 u + c_2 v) = c_1 u_x + c_1 u_y + c_1 + c_2 v_x + c_2 v_y + c_2[/tex]
[tex]= c_1 (u_x + u_y + 1) + c_2 (v_x + v_y + 1)[/tex]
[tex]= c_1 L(u) + c_2 L(v)[/tex]

So is that what you were guiding me to? If I did that correctly, it makes a lot more sense now, thank you. If not...

No, no, no. [tex]L(c_1 u + c_2 v) = (c_1 u + c_2 v)_x + (c_1 u + c_2 v)_y + 1[/tex]

1. What is the difference between a linear and nonlinear operator?

A linear operator is a mathematical function that preserves linearity, meaning it follows the properties of additivity and homogeneity. This means that the output of the function is directly proportional to the input. On the other hand, a nonlinear operator does not follow these properties and can have a more complex relationship between the input and output.

2. What are some examples of linear and nonlinear operators?

An example of a linear operator is the derivative function in calculus, where the output is proportional to the change in the input. A nonlinear operator can be seen in trigonometric functions, such as the sine or cosine, where the output does not have a direct relationship with the input.

3. How are linear and nonlinear operators used in scientific research?

Linear operators are commonly used in scientific research to model and analyze systems that have a linear relationship between the input and output. This can include physical systems, chemical reactions, and biological processes. Nonlinear operators are often used in more complex systems where linear models may not accurately represent the relationship between variables.

4. Can a linear operator become nonlinear?

No, a linear operator cannot become nonlinear. The linearity of an operator is a fundamental property that cannot be changed. However, a linear operator can be composed with another nonlinear operator, resulting in a nonlinear composite operator.

5. How can we determine if an operator is linear or nonlinear?

To determine if an operator is linear or nonlinear, we can apply the properties of linearity. If the function follows the properties of additivity and homogeneity, it is a linear operator. If it does not follow these properties, it is a nonlinear operator. Another way is to graph the function and see if it results in a straight line or a curved line, respectively.