Maximize Sunlight: 3 Object Shadow Formation

In summary, the conversation discusses how to place three objects, such as three pencils, to avoid casting shadows throughout the day considering the sunlight as the light source. The initial suggestion is to point the objects directly at the sun, but it is noted that this may not work since the sun moves throughout the day. The idea of using a larger object to cast a shadow over the pencils is brought up, but it is mentioned that the image of the first object will still be visible. The conversation then shifts to using mirrors, but it is concluded that the reflected light would still be weaker than direct sunlight and a shadow would still be formed. The conversation ends with the conclusion that it may not be possible to completely avoid shadows without removing the objects from direct
jaeson
How should I place three objects for e.g three pencils so that no shadow is formed for them throughout the day(light source:sunlight to be considered)??

Physics news on Phys.org
Off the top of my head I'd say make sure they point exactly at the sun. However, since the sun moves over the course of the day I can't see any way to make three stationary pencils create no shadow.

jaeson said:
How should I place three objects for e.g three pencils so that no shadow is formed for them throughout the day(light source:sunlight to be considered)??

In the shadow of a larger object.

A.T. said:
In the shadow of a larger object.

But the image of first object will form and it will be visible and i am assuming all objects of equal size.

Drakkith said:
Off the top of my head I'd say make sure they point exactly at the sun. However, since the sun moves over the course of the day I can't see any way to make three stationary pencils create no shadow.

What I was thinking was of an orientation in which light reflected from one object fall over the shadow of second object.Is it possible?

jaeson said:
What I was thinking was of an orientation in which light reflected from one object fall over the shadow of second object.Is it possible?

No. You might be able to accomplish something in a controlled lab environment using mirrors and such, but not with just a couple of pencils.

Drakkith said:
No. You might be able to accomplish something in a controlled lab environment using mirrors and such, but not with just a couple of pencils.

Why not? 2nd pencil will reflect light and if i can make the light pass through shadow of 1st pencil the shadow will not form.

I wish to find the angles at which i should place them so that no shadow is formed irrespective of position of sun.

jaeson said:
Why not? 2nd pencil will reflect light and if i can make the light pass through shadow of 1st pencil the shadow will not form.

A pencil is not reflective enough to do this.

Drakkith said:
A pencil is not reflective enough to do this.

ok let us consider mirrors now how could it be done.

jaeson said:

I don't know. I'm not sure you can, especially since you are keeping the mirrors/pencils stationary while the sun moves.

jaeson said:

you will still find that the reflected light is weaker than the direct sunlight on the first pencil
and it is going to form a shadow but much weaker
and the second pencil is still going to produce a shadow that isn't going to be "removed"

I cannot see any way that it could be done short of what AT said
"Putting the three pencils out of direct sunlight"

cheers
Dave

Code:
printf("OP: How do you do this?"\n);
for(;;)
  printf("Others: you can't.\n");
  printf("OP: I think you can.  How?\n");
}

Thread closed.

Likes 1 person

1. How can I maximize sunlight in my outdoor space?

To maximize sunlight, you can strategically place mirrors or reflective surfaces to redirect sunlight into shaded areas. You can also trim back any trees or plants that may be blocking sunlight.

2. What are the benefits of maximizing sunlight?

Maximizing sunlight can increase the amount of natural light in your space, which can improve mood and productivity. It can also reduce the need for artificial lighting, saving energy and money.

3. Can shadow formations affect the amount of sunlight in a space?

Yes, shadow formations play a significant role in the amount of sunlight in a space. By strategically placing objects, you can create areas of shade and direct sunlight to maximize the amount of natural light.

4. How can I use 3 objects to create shadow formations for maximum sunlight?

You can use three objects, such as mirrors, to reflect and redirect sunlight into shaded areas. Placing them at different angles can create interesting shadow formations that can help maximize sunlight in your space.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when maximizing sunlight?

It is essential to be mindful of the intensity of sunlight and potential glare when using reflective surfaces to maximize sunlight. It is also important to ensure that the placement of objects does not create hazards or block necessary pathways.