Fatal Risk: Standing on Insulator & Touching 2MV Iron Wire

In summary, the risk of receiving a shock while standing on an insulator and touching a 2 million volt iron depends on the individual's resistance and the resistance of the insulator. The presence of an Earth wire may also affect the outcome. Without a complete circuit, there will be no current and therefore no risk of shock. However, the surrounding air may become ionized and cause the individual to discharge into the atmosphere. This is known as corona discharge and can result in death. Ultimately, the effects of electrostatics are irrelevant in this scenario.
primarygun
Will I get a shock if I stand on an insulator and touched a iron which supplies a voltage of 2000000V and without Earth wire?

Physics news on Phys.org
depends on your resistance and the insulator's resistance.
It all depends... i think

2 MILLION volts? That insulator won't do much good, since you can discharge by ionizing the surrounding air (corona discharge).

So a complete circuit is formed and I would probably die?
My thought: No complete circuit, no current, I won't be affected. For the electrostatics, it is irrevalent. Am I correct?

primarygun said:
So a complete circuit is formed and I would probably die?
My thought: No complete circuit, no current, I won't be affected. For the electrostatics, it is irrevalent. Am I correct?

With that you'll break down the dielectric of the air around you, like Galileo said. You'll discharge into the atmosphere (the circuit is complete as far as you are concerned).

1. What is a fatal risk?

A fatal risk is a potential danger or hazard that could result in death.

2. What is an insulator?

An insulator is a material that does not conduct electricity, meaning that it prevents the flow of electrical current.

3. How much voltage is considered dangerous?

Voltage can be dangerous at any level, but typically anything above 50 volts can be considered potentially lethal.

4. Can touching a 2MV iron wire be fatal?

Yes, touching a 2MV (2 million volts) iron wire can be fatal as it is a high voltage that can cause electric shock and potentially lead to death.

5. What precautions should be taken when working with high voltage equipment?

When working with high voltage equipment, it is important to always wear appropriate protective gear, follow safety protocols and procedures, and have proper training and supervision. It is also important to always assume that all electrical equipment is energized and take necessary precautions to prevent accidents.