English is the dominate language of science

• Thread starter Townsend
  • Start date
In summary, a suggestion was made for an English and grammar forum on a forum for science discussions. The forum would provide a place for members to ask questions and receive help with their writing, as well as posting papers for proofreading. This would benefit the members who may not have a strong grasp on the English language and help improve the quality of their writing.
Townsend
English is the dominate language of science. To communicate effectively people need to understand how to properly use the conventional language. I think it would be a benefit to members of this forum if there was an area for English and grammar.

It could be a place where people ask simple questions or even post a paper to be reviewed by fresh eyes. I mean let's face it, no one write a perfect paper the first time and in every writing book in the world it is recommend that you have people proof read your paper.

Just an idea but I believe it would make a very useful sub-forum for many or nearly all the member here at PF.

Best Regards,

Physics news on Phys.org
I think an English/Grammar forum is a decent idea. Also, "proof read" is only one word :smile:

mattmns said:
I think an English/Grammar forum is a decent idea. Also, "proof read" is only one word :smile:

Oh, thanks... I could really use the forum too. :blushing:

You can post these questions in the new https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=148 [Broken] forum (under Social Sciences). It covers specific languages, spelling, grammar, and composition.
Or if your question is more about general language rules, you can post it in Social Sciences, where any linguists can help make sense of the rules that are used (though they won't tell you which rules you should or should not follow).

Last edited by a moderator:
Townsend said:
English is the dominate (DOMINATING) language of science. To communicate effectively (,) people need to understand how to properly use the conventional language. I think it would be a benefit to members of this forum if there was an area for English and grammar.

It could be a place where people ask simple questions or even post a paper to be reviewed by fresh eyes. I mean let's face it, no one write(s) a perfect paper the first time and in every writing book in the world it is recommend(ed) that you have people proof(-)read your paper.

Just an idea(,) but I believe it would make a very useful sub-forum for many or nearly all the member(s) here at PF.

Best Regards,
Something like that?

I'd be glad to proofread any papers posted in the new forum honestrosewater linked to. Not just for general grammar and sentence structure, but also for the structure of the paper itself, and for the quality of writing. Make it like a new homework help section.

Townsend said:
English is the dominate language of science.

"Dominate" is a verb. ("English dominates over other languages in science.") The corresponding adjective is "dominant".

jtbell said:
"Dominate" is a verb. ("English dominates over other languages in science.") The corresponding adjective is "dominant".
And the corresponding noun is 'dominatrix'. Who needs a grammer forum?

arildno said:
Something like that?

Yes...like that :smile:

loseyourname said:
I'd be glad to proofread any papers posted in the new forum honestrosewater linked to. Not just for general grammar and sentence structure, but also for the structure of the paper itself, and for the quality of writing. Make it like a new homework help section.

That would be great...thanks.

What is the reason for English being the dominant language of science?

The dominance of English in the field of science can be attributed to historical, cultural, and economic factors. During the Age of Enlightenment, English-speaking countries such as England and the United States became prominent in scientific discoveries and advancements. As a result, English became the language of communication for scientific research and collaboration. Additionally, English-speaking countries have strong economies and educational systems, making it easier for them to publish and disseminate scientific information in English.

Are there any efforts to promote the use of other languages in scientific research?

While English remains the dominant language of science, there have been efforts to promote the use of other languages. One example is the European Union's push for multilingualism in scientific communication, with initiatives such as the European Commission's Language Industry Platform and the European Language Grid. Additionally, there are organizations and journals dedicated to promoting scientific research in non-English languages, such as the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science and the Journal of Non-English Language Science.

Is there a disadvantage for non-native English speakers in the scientific community?

The dominance of English in science can create barriers for non-native English speakers, as they may struggle with understanding and communicating in the language. This can lead to difficulties in publishing and presenting their research, and may also affect their career advancement. However, there are efforts to promote diversity and inclusivity in the scientific community, such as providing language support and resources for non-native English speakers.

What is the impact of English being the dominant language on scientific progress?

English being the dominant language of science has both positive and negative impacts on scientific progress. On one hand, it allows for easier communication and collaboration among scientists from different countries. It also ensures a wider dissemination of scientific knowledge. However, it may also lead to a bias towards research conducted in English-speaking countries, and can limit the exchange of ideas and perspectives from non-English speaking regions.

Is there a possibility for another language to overtake English as the dominant language of science?

While it is possible for another language to become more widely used in science, it is unlikely that English will be completely replaced as the dominant language. The historical and economic factors that have contributed to English's dominance are deeply ingrained in the scientific community. However, with the growing global presence and influence of countries like China and India, it is possible that languages such as Mandarin or Hindi may gain more prominence in scientific research in the future.