Implicit Differentiation

In summary, the conversation is about finding the value of u_z by implicitly differentiating and solving the given equations. However, there are contradictory answers and uncertainty about the formula being used. The person also requests for assistance and reminds the other person to post homework problems in the appropriate section.
Icebreaker
[tex]f(x,y,z,u,v)=xe^y+uz-\cos v=2[/tex]
[tex]g(x,y,z,u,v)=u\cos y+x^2v-yz^2=1[/tex]

I need to find [tex]u_z[/tex]. When I try to do it by implicitly differentiating and solving the equation, I get 2 contradictory answers. If I try the formula, i.e.

[tex]f_z + f_uu_z + f_vv_z = 0[/tex]
[tex]g_z + g_uu_z + g_vv_z = 0[/tex]

I get an answer, but I'm not sure if it's right, since it does not equal to the answer I get when I differentiate implicitly. Any help?

Also I'm not entirely sure if my "formula" is right. Maybe this formula is just implicit differentiation, I haven't looked into it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
2 things:

1. Please show how you started, and where you got stuck.

2. Please stop posting homework problems in the Math section. They should go in the Homework section.

Thanks.

Implicit differentiation is a powerful tool in multivariable calculus that allows us to find the derivative of a function that is not explicitly defined in terms of a single variable. In this case, we have two functions, f(x,y,z,u,v) and g(x,y,z,u,v), each with five variables. When we use implicit differentiation to find the derivative of one of these functions with respect to a particular variable, we must treat all other variables as functions of the variable we are differentiating with respect to.

In this case, we are trying to find the derivative of f with respect to z, or f_z. This means that we must treat x, y, u, and v as functions of z. Similarly, when finding g_z, we must treat x, y, u, and v as functions of z.

The formula you are using is correct, as it is the general formula for implicit differentiation. However, there may be some errors in your calculations that are causing the contradictory answers. It is important to double check your work and make sure you are using the correct chain rule when differentiating each term in the function.

I would recommend reviewing the steps for implicit differentiation and carefully checking your calculations to ensure accuracy. If you are still getting contradictory answers, it may be helpful to seek assistance from a tutor or professor to identify any potential errors.

1. What is implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation is a method of finding the derivative of a function that is not explicitly written in terms of a single variable. It is used when the equation of the function cannot be easily solved for one variable, making it difficult to find the derivative using traditional methods.

2. How is implicit differentiation different from explicit differentiation?

Explicit differentiation is used to find the derivative of a function that is written explicitly in terms of a single variable. In contrast, implicit differentiation is used to find the derivative of a function that is not explicitly written in terms of a single variable.

3. What are the steps for performing implicit differentiation?

The steps for performing implicit differentiation are as follows:

1. Differentiate both sides of the equation with respect to the variable of interest.
  2. Isolate the derivative on one side of the equation.
  3. Solve for the derivative, if possible.

4. When is implicit differentiation used?

Implicit differentiation is used when the equation of a function cannot be easily solved for one variable, making it difficult to find the derivative using traditional methods. It is also used when the function is defined implicitly, such as in parametric equations or implicit curves.

5. What are some common applications of implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation has many applications in the fields of physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to find rates of change, to solve optimization problems, and to analyze curves and surfaces. It is also used in computer graphics to create realistic 3D images and animations.