Thistle + bulb Unidentified glassware

In summary, during a lab clean-up, the speaker found a unique piece of equipment that resembles a thistle tube with a closed bulb on the bottom and a sealed glass piece inside the stem. The speaker has two theories about its purpose, either as a hydrometer for measuring relative density or as a cartesian diver to measure temperature or pressure.
flatmaster
I was cleaning up my lab and I came
across some quipment I've never seen before.

The top looks like a
thistle tube, but there is a closed bulb on the bottom. Furthermore,
there is another glass piece inside of the stem. The piece inside of
the stem is sealed on the top. It has an open at the bottom of the stem near the top of the
bulb.

I have two guesses...
Some sort of weird hydrometer that is filled with a liquid to measure
relavite density of two liquids.

If the small sealed portion inside heates up, the air will expand and
bubble out of the tube. If it then cools down, it will suck up the
liquid in the larger tube. This would sort of mechanically record the
hotest tempearature that the bulb obtained.

Another thought just occurred to me. Perhaps this is a cartesian diver. However, I don't think it could be completely submerged. The trapped volume of gas wouldn't overcome the weight of the glass.

Attachments

• 2013-02-16_11-54-50_953.jpg
    2013-02-16_11-54-50_953.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 462
  • 2013-02-16_11-55-20_722.jpg
    2013-02-16_11-55-20_722.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 457
Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
It might be used for something similar though, like measuring the pressure of a gas in a sealed container.

1. What is "Thistle + bulb Unidentified glassware"?

"Thistle + bulb Unidentified glassware" refers to a type of glassware commonly used in scientific experiments and laboratory work. It is characterized by a thistle-shaped bulb at the bottom, with a long, narrow neck and a curved tip at the top.

2. What is the purpose of the thistle-shaped bulb on the glassware?

The thistle-shaped bulb at the bottom of the glassware serves as a reservoir for liquids, allowing for easy pouring and transfer of small amounts of solutions.

3. How is "Thistle + bulb Unidentified glassware" different from other types of glassware?

Unlike other types of glassware, "Thistle + bulb Unidentified glassware" has a thistle-shaped bulb at the bottom, which makes it ideal for precise measurements and titrations.

4. What experiments or applications is this glassware typically used for?

This type of glassware is commonly used for titrations, which involve the precise measurement and mixing of solutions. It is also used for filtration, distillation, and other laboratory procedures.

5. How should "Thistle + bulb Unidentified glassware" be properly cleaned and maintained?

The glassware should be thoroughly cleaned with soap and water after each use, and then rinsed with distilled water. It should be stored in a clean, dry place to prevent contamination and breakage. Regular inspection for cracks or chips is also recommended to ensure the glassware is in good condition for use.