Improving Equation Formatting in LaTeX

In summary, Renge is trying to figure out a way to space out the brackets in a latex equation so it doesn't look so bad, and thinks factorization or using kern commands might work.
n0_3sc
So who else is writing a thesis over the christmas holidays?

Can anyone help me with this latex problem:
I'm using \begin{align} and \end{align} for this equation, but it looks ugly...

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/cf1b1c46ab.gif

How can I fix that first line?

Physics news on Phys.org
No thesis, but I'm building a helicopter transmission.

I am engaging in absolutely frivolous activity for the next week at least.

n0_3sc said:
How can I fix that first line?
You could factor out the common factor for the first three terms in the parenthesis, this would shorten all three lines. Nested parentheses will also be a bit ugly but it should shorten it enough to get the numbering to fit.

Why is the type face so big?

jambaugh said:
Nested parentheses will also be a bit ugly but it should shorten it enough to get the numbering to fit.

Why is the type face so big?

I'd prefer not to create more brackets. The typeface is 12pt but the pic is enlarged. I'm looking for some latex command that does multi-line alignment (break each equation into two lines).
{align}, {multline} and {split} don't seem to be nice working functions for this case.

Renge Ishyo said:
I am engaging in absolutely frivolous activity for the next week at least.

Who are you trying to fool, Renge? [8P]

I'm not writing my thesis, but I am writing my thesis proposal over the holidays. Does that count?

n0_3sc said:
I'd prefer not to create more brackets. The typeface is 12pt but the pic is enlarged. I'm looking for some latex command that does multi-line alignment (break each equation into two lines).
{align}, {multline} and {split} don't seem to be nice working functions for this case.

I'm not sure about the mutli-line. You could try uniformly inserting some small negative value kern commands to tighten up the spacing enough to get the eqn number to fit.

Also the genfrac command is pretty flexible you might be able to use it to write the r.h.s of each equation as two lines at full 12pt with a left curly bracket.

something like:

[tex] P(\omega_p)=\genfrac{\{}{}{0pt}{0}{3\chi_{111}(|A_{\omega p}|^2A_{\omega p} + 2|A_{\omega s}|^2A_{\omega p}}{\quad \quad + 2|A_{\omega a}|^2A_{\omega p}+ 2A_{\omega p}^*A_{\omega s}A_{\omega a})} [/tex]
or
[tex] P(\omega_p)=3\chi_{111}\genfrac{\{}{\}}{0pt}{0}{|A_{\omega p}|^2A_{\omega p} + 2|A_{\omega s}|^2A_{\omega p}+}{ 2|A_{\omega a}|^2A_{\omega p}+ 2A_{\omega p}^*A_{\omega s}A_{\omega a}} [/tex]

or some variation thereof.

try dividing the LHS by [tex] 3\chi_{111} [/tex] to remove it from the RHS...

jambaugh said:
something like:

[tex] P(\omega_p)=\genfrac{\{}{}{0pt}{0}{3\chi_{111}(|A_{\omega p}|^2A_{\omega p} + 2|A_{\omega s}|^2A_{\omega p}}{\quad \quad + 2|A_{\omega a}|^2A_{\omega p}+ 2A_{\omega p}^*A_{\omega s}A_{\omega a})} [/tex]

Cheers, that works and looks good.
Merry Christmas all.

1. What is a thesis?

A thesis is a document that presents original research and findings on a specific topic. It is typically written as a requirement for obtaining a higher degree, such as a master's or PhD.

2. How do I choose a topic for my thesis?

Choosing a topic for your thesis can be a challenging task. It is important to choose a topic that interests you and aligns with your research goals. You can also consult with your advisor or conduct a literature review to identify a gap in current research that you can contribute to.

3. What is the structure of a thesis?

The structure of a thesis may vary depending on the field and university, but it typically includes an introduction, literature review, methodology, results, discussion, and conclusion. It may also include additional sections such as acknowledgments, appendices, and a bibliography.

4. How long does it take to write a thesis?

The time it takes to write a thesis varies depending on factors such as the length and complexity of the research, your writing speed, and the availability of resources. On average, it can take anywhere from 6 months to 2 years to complete a thesis.

5. What are some tips for writing a successful thesis?

Some tips for writing a successful thesis include starting early, creating a detailed outline, staying organized, and regularly communicating with your advisor. It is also important to proofread your work, use proper citation and referencing, and take breaks to avoid burnout.