Converting 12VAC to 12VDC to Power PC Fans

• Thread starter TechMiller
  • Start date
  • Tags
    pc Power
In summary: I think it would be a good idea to run the fans at slightly slower speeds with a resistor in series to drop the voltage a bit.Yes, if it is a 12vac regulated supply.But until I have it to test I won't be sure, and if I have a few volts under the fans will just run a little slower and quieter.Don't forget 12 VAC is RMS...
TechMiller
Hey all, I am putting together a little LED project and have all of the LED figured out with 12vac drivers and all.

What I am wanting to do is take a line from my 12vac and convert it to 12vdc to drive 2 small PC fans. (2x60mm) 2x 0.24w

Anyone able to tell me the components I need to do this? Rectifier and or something else?

If there is a certain size or wattage needed.

The 120vac to 12vac transformer is one I got on http://www.ebay.com/itm/ELECTRONIC-TRANSFORMER-120VAC-12VAC-75W-MAX-/270458210358?_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D5%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D2218825548378729626#ht_609wt_1396"

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
You could use a rectifier and a capacitor. You have to calculate the value of capacitor depending on your DC load.

M.

Is your transformer center tapped?

If so, do you have 12 V from end to end or 12 V from center to end? If it is 12 V from center to end, you would put rectifiers in each of the outer connections and a capacitor from the junction of the capacitors to the center tap. The voltage across the capacitor should be 1 diode drop below Vpk or about 16 V. Normally a 12 V regulator would be used to reduce that voltage to 12 V.

If your transformer has no center tap or if your center taped transformer has 12 V from end to end, then you would use a full wave rectifier and a capacitor connected from the positive side of the rectifier to the negative side. You will have about 16 V across the capacitor and you will still need a 12 V regulator to bring down the voltage to 12 V.

skeptic2 said:
If your transformer has no center tap or if your center taped transformer has 12 V from end to end, then you would use a full wave rectifier and a capacitor connected from the positive side of the rectifier to the negative side. You will have about 16 V across the capacitor and you will still need a 12 V regulator to bring down the voltage to 12 V.
I believe it is this one, though I do not have it in hand yet.
This is a link to it. 12vac http://www.ebay.com/itm/270458210358?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_609wt_1396

I did however today run to radio shack after doing some more research and put together a full wave rectifier, with a cap behind it, followed by a VR and another cap.

The power input is 75w 12vac, I have 2 fans that are 12vdc, 0.24w each do I need to worry about wattage with the fans?

Do I need to drop a resistor in after the VR?

*Edit *
Ok, so I was looking around and finally found the answer to this question.
I don't need to worry about the current of the supply being more than that of the fans.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are only going to use it to run the fans, you probably don't need the capacitor or the voltage regulator. You would want to use a full wave rectifier.

You will not get 12VDC from a 12VAC source. There is a voltage drop across the diodes.

Integral said:
You will not get 12VDC from a 12VAC source. There is a voltage drop across the diodes.

Yes, if it is a 12vac regulated supply.
But until I have it to test I won't be sure, and if I have a few volts under the fans will just run a little slower and quieter.

Don't forget 12 VAC is RMS...

M.

1. How can I convert 12VAC to 12VDC to power my PC fans?

To convert 12VAC (alternating current) to 12VDC (direct current) for your PC fans, you will need a rectifier circuit. This circuit uses diodes to convert the AC voltage into DC voltage. You can either purchase a pre-made rectifier circuit or build one yourself using diodes, capacitors, and a transformer.

2. What type of diode should I use for the rectifier circuit?

For converting 12VAC to 12VDC, you will need to use a full-wave rectifier circuit. This means you will need four diodes, two for the positive half of the AC cycle and two for the negative half. You can use standard diodes such as 1N4001 or 1N4148 for this purpose.

3. Can I use a voltage regulator to convert 12VAC to 12VDC?

No, a voltage regulator cannot be used to convert AC to DC. Voltage regulators can only regulate the voltage of a DC power source, not convert AC to DC. You will need a rectifier circuit for this purpose.

4. How do I determine the voltage and current rating for the diodes and capacitors in the rectifier circuit?

The voltage rating for the diodes and capacitors should be at least double the input voltage, in this case, 12VAC. For the current rating, it should be equal to or higher than the maximum current draw of your PC fans. You can find this information on the fan's label or in the user manual.

5. Is it safe to use a rectifier circuit to power my PC fans?

Yes, it is safe to use a rectifier circuit to convert 12VAC to 12VDC for your PC fans. However, it is essential to ensure that the circuit is properly built and meets the voltage and current requirements of your fans. It is also recommended to use a fuse or circuit breaker as a safety measure in case of any malfunctions.

Back