Where Does Energy Go? | Law of Conservation

• Thread starter Aromal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, according to the law of conservation of energy, energy cannot be created or destroyed. When a battery is used to power a LED, the chemical energy in the battery is converted into light and thermal energy. Due to the inefficiencies in the process, some of the energy goes into heating the cell, wires, and LED. The light emitted by the LED can cause chemical changes in various surfaces, while some may be reflected or escape into the atmosphere. Ultimately, all of the energy is accounted for and the total energy remains the same. This process also contributes to the increase in entropy of the universe.
Aromal
I have a doubt about the energy. According to law of conservation of energy, energy can neither be created nor be destroyed. But, when I light a LED with a battery until the whole charge discharges, where those chemical energy go?

Physics news on Phys.org
The chemical energy in the battery ends up as light and thermal energy.

Are you actually asking, what happens with chemical energy? It obviously becomes light (+some other things). Or do you mean something else?

Ignoring losses, the chemical energy in the cell went into the light emitted by the LED.

The conversion to electricity was not 100% efficient, so some energy went into heating the cell. The transmission of electricity was not 100% efficient, so some energy went into heating the wires. The conversion of electricity was not 100% efficient, so some energy went into heating the LED.

Some of the light emitted by the LED impacted on your retina where it caused chemical changes in your photoreceptors. Some of the light emitted by the LED caused other chemical changes when it hit the wall, the floor, the ceiling or your skin. (Perhaps you have a new melanoma). Some of the light emitted by the LED was reflected and was then absorbed by other surfaces. Most of the light absorbed on those surfaces went into heat. Some of the light emitted by the LED might have made it out through an open window and into the night sky where it may be whizzing past Neptune and Pluto now.

Some of the heat that was deposited in various places would have been re-radiated in the infrared. Some would have been conducted to other objects. Some would have heated up the air and convected away.

These effects seem minor and are easily ignored unless you are looking closely. But they add up to exactly match the chemical energy that was originally expended. Rest assured that the books balance. Energy is conserved.

Thank you. But my doubt is that, at last what about the total energy? Do it store anywhere? I am asking this because somebody told me that those chemical energy is utilised to change the total entropy of the universe. Is it true?

Aromal said:
Thank you. But my doubt is that, at last what about the total energy? Do it store anywhere? I am asking this because somebody told me that those chemical energy is utilised to change the total entropy of the universe. Is it true?

Of course. As you convert the chemical energy into electrical energy, and then into light the entropy of the universe increases as a whole. However the total energy remains the same. Energy and entropy are not the same thing.

Aromal said:

The energy is not stored in a specific place but rather goes into the environment as heat and light and so it increases the entropy of the universe. It is not destroyed but merely the energies form is changed.

1. Where does energy go when we use it?

According to the Law of Conservation of Energy, energy cannot be created or destroyed, but it can change form. So, when we use energy, it is transformed into a different type of energy. For example, when we drive a car, the chemical energy from the gasoline is converted into kinetic energy to move the car.

2. Does energy ever disappear?

No, energy cannot disappear. As mentioned before, according to the Law of Conservation of Energy, it can only change form. For instance, when we turn on a light bulb, the electrical energy is converted into light energy and heat energy.

3. What happens to the energy we don't use?

The energy that we don't use is typically released into the environment as heat. For example, when we use electricity to power our devices, some of the energy is lost as heat. This is why electronic devices can feel warm after extended use.

4. How is energy transferred?

Energy can be transferred in several ways. It can be transferred through physical contact, such as when a ball hits a wall and transfers kinetic energy. It can also be transferred through electromagnetic waves, like when the sun's energy travels through space to reach Earth.

5. What is the significance of the Law of Conservation of Energy?

The Law of Conservation of Energy is one of the fundamental principles in physics. It helps us understand and predict how energy behaves in different systems. It also allows us to better manage and utilize energy resources, as we know that energy cannot be wasted or created, only changed.