First Ever Documented Case of Child Cured by HIV

• Thread starter Chemicist
  • Start date
In summary: I don't know if they've ever even created a vaccine for HIV.Yeah vaccines for RNA viruses in general are pretty tough to make because the high mutation rate.
Chemicist
Dr. Deborah Persaud of Johns Hopkins University today described the first documented case of a child being cured of HIV. The landmark findings were announced at the 2013 Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections in Atlanta, GA.

Read more: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/03/130303172640.htm

Biology news on Phys.org
Great news! How different is curing a person born with HIV than a person who later in life contracted HIV?

Greg Bernhardt said:
Great news! How different is curing a person born with HIV than a person who later in life contracted HIV?

I'm not skilled enough in the field to know. :/

Greg Bernhardt said:

In this case, antiretroviral treatment was started on the first day of postnatal life, likely before reservoirs of virus could be established. In the typical adult case, the infection has usually been active for some time before treatment is started. This provides the opportunity for HIV to establish reservoirs in lymphatic tissue , bone marrow, the genitourinary tract and sometimes, the brain. In such tissues, the virus may remain latent for years. In most adult cases, the gradual reduction of the viral load, as a result of treatment, can take the better part of a lifetime.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/780214

http://aidsresearch.org/cure-research/eradicating-hiv-reservoirs

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10608788

Last edited by a moderator:
SW VandeCarr said:
In this case, antiretroviral treatment was started on the first day of post natal life, likely before reservoirs of virus could be established. In the typical adult case, the infection has usually been active for some time before treatment is started. This provides the opportunity for HIV to establish reservoirs in lymphatic tissue , bone marrow, the genitourinary tract and sometimes, the brain. In such tissues, the virus may remain latent for years. In most adult cases, the gradual reduction of the viral load, as a result of treatment, takes the better part of a lifetime.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/780214

http://aidsresearch.org/cure-research/eradicating-hiv-reservoirs

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10608788

Interesting! Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
To my understanding, this "cure" only applies to recent infections - but it's still a huge leap forward, and offers hope of an eventual cure (or vaccine?) for the rest of the people afflicted with this horrible condition.

I remember in 1985 when Rock Hudson was diagnosed with AIDS that they said they would almost certainly have a vaccine within 5 years and a cure within 10. Almost 30 years later, they have neither, and they are still talking the same rap.

I hope it's all true but I stopped getting excited about these things a long time ago. At least they have the retrovirals.

DiracPool said:
I remember in 1985 when Rock Hudson was diagnosed with AIDS that they said they would almost certainly have a vaccine within 5 years and a cure within 10. Almost 30 years later, they have neither, and they are still talking the same rap.

I hope it's all true but I stopped getting excited about these things a long time ago. At least they have the retrovirals.

Yeah vaccines for RNA viruses in general are pretty tough to make because the high mutation rate.

1. How was the child cured of HIV?

The child was cured through a combination of antiretroviral therapy (ART) and a stem cell transplant from a donor with a rare genetic mutation that makes them resistant to HIV.

2. How long did it take for the child to be considered "cured" of HIV?

The child was considered "functionally cured" after being off of ART for 12 months without any detectable levels of HIV in their blood. This was confirmed by multiple tests.

3. Is this cure applicable to all HIV-positive children?

No, this cure is not applicable to all HIV-positive children. It is only applicable to those who have access to ART and a suitable stem cell donor with the specific genetic mutation.

4. What are the potential risks or side effects of this cure?

The potential risks and side effects of this cure include the risks associated with ART and stem cell transplants, such as infection, graft-versus-host disease, and organ damage. However, the child in this case did not experience any major side effects.

5. Will this cure be available to the general public in the near future?

It is unlikely that this cure will be available to the general public in the near future. This was a unique case and more research is needed to understand the potential of this cure and its applicability to other individuals with HIV. However, this case does provide hope for the development of a potential cure for HIV in the future.