Choosing the Best Web Browser for Your Needs

• Thread starter yungman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Web
In summary: I have Internet Explorer and Firefox installed. But I like to experiment with another one.1) Is Chrome good? 2) How about Safari?Chrome is fast, and has a simple interface. Safari is also fast, but has less features. Firefox is a bit more secure, but can be more difficult to use.
yungman
I have Internet Explorer and Firefox installed. But I like to experiment with another one.

1) Is Chrome good?
2) How about Safari?

BTW, I just want to verify these are all web browsers, I can still set all default to Yahoo that I like most?

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
I use chrome and firefox.
Extensions are easier in firefox but I like the chrome interface.

In order to advise you properly we need to know what you mean by "good" - what are the qualities of a browser that you would use to measure "goodness"?

yungman said:
BTW, I just want to verify these are all web browsers, I can still set all default to Yahoo that I like most?
Yes, you can always change the homepage in any good browser.
I personally use chrome because it's fast.

Likes 1 person
Last year I tried Safari on Windows (because I was having some problems with Firefox) and found it was incredibly slow and crash-prone. An order of magnitude worse than Internet Explorer!

Maybe it runs OK on OSX, but I wouldn't go near it on Windows.

Chrome is probably fine, so long as you don't mind Google knowing even more about you than they do already.

Likes 1 person
AlephZero said:
Chrome is probably fine, so long as you don't mind Google knowing even more about you than they do already.
What do you mean? Is Google spying on us?

Of course Google is spying on us - how do you think they make money giving stuff away?
Another name for it is "collecting demographic and use data to improve your experience of advertising".

Chrome or Chromium (linux) is the way to go. Although it doesn't matter to me, if you don't want google to build an even more extensive profile of you, you can just use a VPN service such as openVPN to mask your browsing.

Thanks guys, Chrome it is. I don't do any banking or any important stuffs, this computer is just for political talk, pcb layout, schematic and circuit simulation only.

For political talk, they can track me, I am loud mouth anyway!

Chrome is notorious for it's lack of security, and I believe safari is no longer supported on windows (hasn't been updated in quite some time last I remembered).

I prefer Firefox, but it really boils down to user preference and how security conscious they are.

Heres a list of various aspects, features, and flaws amongst the most used browsers:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_web_browsers

elusiveshame said:
Chrome is notorious for it's lack of security, and I believe safari is no longer supported on windows (hasn't been updated in quite some time last I remembered).

I prefer Firefox, but it really boils down to user preference and how security conscious they are.

Heres a list of various aspects, features, and flaws amongst the most used browsers:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_web_browsers

Thanks elusiveshame,

Your link seems to be for "mobile devices", so I'll post the regular one, also...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_web_browsers

Hope you don't mind... :smile:

elusiveshame said:
Oops! Thank you for that :)

You're more than welcome... :thumbs:

yungman said:
I have Internet Explorer and Firefox installed. But I like to experiment with another one.

1) Is Chrome good?
2) How about Safari?

Leave Internet Explorer, use Firefox and keep Chrome or Opera as backups.

Safari is no longer supported for Windows.

Personally I don't feel comfortable with Chrome; though its interface and usability are excellent but I don't like to rely on google for everything (search, email and now web browser too?? Nope.)

Last edited:
If you want a secure browser, Lynx is perhaps the best choice, but that might be too secure for you. I always say that the only purpose of internet explorer is to download other web browsers(ie usually comes with windows). I wouldn't trust ie for security and I wouldn't trust google to keep its paws off of my info. So there goes ie and chrome. Here's a way to see if your browser is not secure: If you get ads that have to do with your past searches, or ads that mention where you are, then your browser is not secure. If I were you, I'd make sure to have a firewall up. Firefox might not be a bad choice. Actually, come to think of it Tor sounds like a good choice too.

One thing missing from Chrome is the ability to add web sites to a "restricted list" which can be used to prevent unwanted ad's, pop-ups, ... .

Also, one piece of software that I cannot recommend enough, regardless of browser, is adblock plus. This will disable all ads and popups (even in YouTube videos), and you have the option to exclude sites from being blocked and allowing all content through.

Opera is no good these days.

Old Opera is no longer supported and Chropera is still in the teething stage, with plenty of small problems when it comes to plugins.

Perhaps it doesn't matter for newcomers, but I am not going to switch when my two fav plugins are not supported.

Chrome and firefox are for sissies. REAL Men use Lynx with self-coded extensions and compatibility plugins.

interhacker said:
REAL Men use Lynx with self-coded extensions and compatibility plugins.

Nope. REAL Men just receive wi-fi signals direct to their brains :biggrin:

Likes 1 person
AlephZero said:
Nope. REAL Men just receive wi-fi signals direct to their brains :biggrin:

LOL epic

Makes me think of

Code:
copy con myprog.com

1. What is the most popular web browser?

The most popular web browser is Google Chrome, with over 60% market share as of 2021.

2. Which web browser is the safest?

In terms of security, Mozilla Firefox is considered the safest web browser due to its strong privacy features and open-source code.

3. What is the best web browser for speed?

Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox are known to be the fastest web browsers, with Chrome slightly edging out Firefox in speed tests.

4. Can I use multiple web browsers?

Yes, you can have multiple web browsers installed on your device and use them simultaneously. This can be helpful for testing website compatibility or having different browsers for personal and work use.

5. Are there any alternative web browsers to the popular ones?

Yes, there are many alternative web browsers to choose from, such as Opera, Microsoft Edge, and Safari. These browsers offer different features and may be preferred by some users over the popular ones.